What do/did you call your grandparents?

Assuming that you called them anything at all.

Mine were all born in the 1800’s and so they became grandparents long before the trend of inventing names so I had 2 Grandmas, a Grandpa and a Granddad.

I’m becoming a grandfather in March and am leaning toward Poppy but I haven’t ruled out Grandpa.

I had a Granddad and a Grandma, and a Granny (Mom’s father died before I was talking).

My four grandparents were all born in the 1890s. I had two Grandmas and two Grandpas.

To differentiate, my siblings and I used their last names when we talked about our grandparents. We called them ‘Grandma Smith’ or ‘Grandpa Jones’.

My kids, however, had a Grandma and Grandpa, and a Nana and Papa.

^ Did your Grandpa Jones tell you what was for supper?

My mother’s parents were from the Ozarks and were Grandma and Grandpa.

My father’s parents were immigrants and were Grandmother and Grandfather.

I asked my oldest sister how it came to be that we addressed my father’s parents so formally, especially since my father called them Mama and Papa. My sister said, “I think Grandmother made it clear that was what she wanted to be called.”

My Daddy’s father was ‘Payton-daddy’, his Mom died before I was born. My Mothers parents were ‘Big-daddy’ and ‘Gramma’. We are ‘Nana’ and ‘Poppy’.

ETA, there are about a million Mamaws and Papaws in my husband’s family.

Both pairs were “grandma” and “grandpa.” If there was ever need for clarification, we used their last names, as well, but as they lived in different cities, it wasn’t often an issue.

I’m 45. My grandparents were born in the late 1800s to early 1900s. My brothers and I called our paternal grandparents Grandma/Grandpa Lastname. We called our maternal grandparents Grandma/Grandpa Firstname*. I have no idea why. That’s just what I grew up calling them. I’m the youngest of four brothers, and I adopted what the other guys said. My grandparents all died in the 1980s and 90s.

My kids call my mom Grandma Firstname. My dad died a few years ago, but they called him Grandpa. Just Grandpa. My wife is ethnically Tamil. The Tamil words for grandmother and grandfather are Paati and Thatha. Since Paati sounds a lot like potty in English, my mother in law told the kids to call her Granny. My father in law is still Thatha to them.
*We actually used my Grandpa’s nickname instead of his first name, but he was universally known by the nickname, to the extent that it might as well have been his actual first name.

Gramma and Grampa were the honorifics for both sets of grandparents and all my great-grandparents.

For my childhood: Either set could be “Grandma” and “Grandpa”. One grandfather could also be “Grandpap” or “Pappy”, and the other could be “Pops” or “Grandpop”, but neither was consistent. If disambiguation was needed, we used last names. I barely knew one of my great-grandmothers, and she was also “Grandma Lastname” (fortunately Grandma’s mother, not Grandpap’s, so the last name was different)

For the next generation, my sister’s children: Their father’s side is just “Grandma” and “Grandpa”, but my mother is “Gigga” (which originated from baby-talk), and my father wasn’t in the picture for them. While my grandmother (their great-grandmother) was still alive, she was “Mazzie”, which was apparently one of Grandpap’s nicknames for her.

My father’s parents were Grampa and Gramma (or Gram). My mother’s father was Poppa. (Her mother died before I was born.)

My dad died not long after my daughter started talking. She had just managed to call him Pawpaw, which delighted him. He had always wanted a daughter, and having a granddaughter made him very happy. Anyway, my daughter is 5 now. When she talks about him, she usually calls him Grandpa, like her older brother does. But she still calls him Pawpaw occasionally.

My Daddy was Granddaddy to my kids. The lil’wrekker couldn’t say it well when she started talking (very early), so she said ‘Diddy’. It was very cute. All the other younger grandkids started calling him Diddy too. That little girl, a mere babe, changed family history with one word. Amazing.

I never knew my paternal grandparents, only had my Mother’s parents who I called Grandma and Grandpa. From about 1955 through 1980.

My older brother tried to say “Uncle Glen” and it came out “Dunky Dunk” so that’s what we all called him. I was an adult before I realized how silly it sounded.

I called my grandparents Grandma and Grandpa. My children call my parents the same. I have lived on the east coast for a couple of decades now, and have heard terms such as “meemaw” and “pop pop” several times, but I think I’d cringe if they were used in my house. That’s hopefully still a few years off.

My paternal grandfather was born in 1876 and died a few years before I was born – he was in his 50s when my father was born – so I never had a chance to call him anything. My paternal grandmother died suddenly from a heart attack when I was eight years old, on a train on her way from California to visit us in West Texas in fact, just dropped dead on the spot. I barely remember ever meeting her, it was just a couple of times, but she was Grandmother.

I was closer to my maternal grandparents in Arkansas. He was Pa, she was Memo. Both are long dead now, he dying while I was in high school, she just in 1995.

I only knew one pair: Mimi and Grampy. I couldn’t pronounce “Grammy” as a kid, and it came out as “Mimi”. The name stuck (apparently, this isn’t too uncommon).

As I said I am known as ‘Nana’ to my grandkids. My oldest granddaughter tried to call me ‘Bubba’ much to the delight of my Son-of-a-wrek. I made it my mission not to be called ‘Bubba’ for eternity. I succeeded.:slight_smile:

One pair were Nan and Pop (Nanny and Poppy when we were small); the other were Grandma and Grandfather. The mismatch in apparent formality wasn’t a reflection of our relationships with them - they were all wonderful.
My parents go by Nanny and Pa. Pa was trying to give himself an advantage to being baby’s first word by choosing the shortest title he could think of. It didn’t work - Nan came first.