What do other cultures do with green tomatoes?

My mom would always wrap a bunch of them (individually) in newspaper, and put them in a cardboard box in a dark, but not too cold closet. They’d be something resembling ripe tomatoes by Thanksgiving.

Looks like the Deep South might qualify as other culture :slight_smile:

Random links, not my recipes

Green Tomato Chow-Chow

Green Tomato Relish

Stuffed Green Tomatoes

Pickled Green Tomatoes

Nah, just sometimes some tomatoes refuse to ripen, and will rot before they do so.

I will typically make green tomato chutney. Nice with cheese.

I don’t see why they don’t just use them to make ketchup.

Good question: we’re in the UK and we planted too late in the year, so we have a lot of green tomatoes.
I did try using them as a substitute for tomatillos in a sort of Mexican Chilli Verde recipe. It was… OK… but not something you’d want to eat all the time. As you said: bring 'em on!

I’ve never tried it but I first saw this on TV about ten years ago. IIRC the idea was that chocolate was a strong flavor and you wouldn’t taste the tomato…so it’s a way to use them up.

Yup, same, and with the ones that are unlikely to ripen at the end of the season, like Broomstick said. You can get quite a lot of really good chutney out of them.

Not sure which culture she’s appropriating, but my gf makes a chickpea soup/stew that uses green tomatoes.

A pickled green tomato wedge is an essential part of the legendary Superdawg, a variation of the Chicago style hot dog.
Good shot here from the Reader (though the inside of the box isn’t printed like in this publicity shoot):
Best hot dog - Chicago Reader

British (sweet/sour) green tomato chutney:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/green-tomato-chutney

Other/similar recipes available online.

Nova Scotia Chow Chow:

A nice relish or condiment to just about anything; or eat it on its own; it’s that tasty.

We still have a few left, and I’ve been thinking that the typical Southern cornmeal-crusted fried green tomatoes might take well to any number of different spice profiles in the breading instead of just salt, pepper, and cayenne. Garam masala, maybe?

I had about four thousand pounds of green tomatoes when the frosts first hit here so I made a green tomato salsa verde that’s really yummy–I didn’t want to go through all the nine yards of canning and worrying about correct acidity and the like so I just vacuum sealed 1.5 cup amounts and tossed them into the freezer. I’m gonna be eating this stuff for MONTHS!