What do septic service trucks do with their load of s*#t?

*What do septic service trucks do with their load of s#t? **

Don’t ask, and don’t read the label of your cup noodles too closely.

Are you flush with embarrassment?;):smiley: No worries…

I had a science class in high school where we toured the sewage treatment facility. I expected something more high tech than “let the sun evaporate off the moisture” too.

BTW in that episode Mike cleaned out large grease traps, too, which he said was worse than the sewage.

The septic tanks themselves don’t just fill up with shit. They are built to do an ecological breakdown and they are small treatment plants themselves and they tend to do it well. However, various other things tend to flow into it like small plastic object and god knows what else that doesn’t break down easily. Pumping is done to ensure the overall health of the system but many people go years without doing it. We do it about every 18 months. Every time we have it pumped, I have to go out and find the concrete cover by hand digging down in the general area about 18 inches. If you lift the lid, the smell isn’t good but it isn’t terrible either.

Our pumping costs about $150 dollars but Massachusetts is very strict and a bad inspection can result in an unexpected bill of $20,000 - $40,000 or so to replace it. It happened to our neighbors. Pumping is used to ensure the health of the system so that the whole system doesn’t break down.

Most of what they pump is just nasty water and random waste. Look at large sewage systems like in New York City. People walk around in those without much problem as long as they have the proper gear on. It is nasty but it isn’t THAT bad.

Well, I can’t be right all of the time! :slight_smile: I do feel better when I 'fess up to my mistakes.

Old grease stinks, it’s sour. BTW an environmental engineer friend of mine says that he’s seen huge greaseballs down at the sewage treatment plant. Yuck.

Exactly. The gray water is intended to flow out into the leachfield.

[hijack]
I read a sad story one time about a missing child. Years after his dissappearance, a tiny cowboy boot was found in the family’s septic tank. :frowning:
[/hijack]

[organic farmer]We feeds da chickens da pig shit, an’ we feeds da pigs da chicken shit.[/organic farmer]

Isn’t the sludge high in salts?

I worked at a sewage treatment plant as my first summer job in high school and they would dump the flocculated [spelling?] sludge into the field adjacent to the plant. Gardeners would stop by to load up on the stuff and swore by it. I mentioned it to my dad, and one Saturday, we went down and picked up a couple of cubic yards and spread it on our lawn. It didn’t do much until we’d watered the hell out of it. Wasn’t really worth it for the results and annoyed the two other families on the same well (we had only a single water meter at the time).

I just wanted to say “flush.”:wink:

IIRC in that episode that called the big globs of it “spaghetti.”

I thought it was a commodity you could sell, though. I’m going back to my mom saying they saved grease for the glycerine for the making of nitroglycerine during WWII.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/illinois_at_war/doc35.html

Don’t restaurants (e.g. McDonald’s) sell their used grease to be used for something or other, maybe biodiesel? Or maybe that’s fine for oil but not grease?

A yahoo search for restaurant grease collection brought 2.45M hits.
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu6kBumhJDUYA.5xXNyoA?fr2=sg-gac&sado=1&p=restaurant%20grease%20collection&fr=slv8-wave&ei=UTF-8

My residential tank (small, but I’m not sure the exact size) costs about $100 to pump. But a septic tank doesn’t need to be pumped when it’s full, since the natural process will handle most effluent, unlike a holding tank, which does no processing.

Locally, the trucks used to dump in the closest municipal system until the system discovered too many panty hose clogging their pumps and discontinued accepting waste from that source. Now they go to a larger city’s plant.

You can see how a simple system works in this video. It’s a two-cell (cell=pond) mostly gravity system that stores effluent in an open area for months, then discharges to a second, smaller pond, then after more months, discharges what’s left into a creek. No chemicals are added; it’s all natural processes. After many years, the ponds have to be drained and dredged – I don’t know where that stuff goes, but it must be pretty concentrated. The two ponds are havens for wildlife and whenever I was there, had no smell unless you were standing right over the inflow pipe.

The operators claim that the system is so good that the outflow from the second cell tests cleaner than the creek it discharges into, a creek which drains many surrounding farms and forests.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I figured!

Isn’t it still used to make lipstick and such?

From here. (pdf)

For some reason I take delight that this fact was brought to me by Yossarian.

Milorganite isn’t actually made out of dried poo though as some of the posts here suggest could be done with the septic waste. I read an article about it in a trade journal years back.

What they do is put the poo-water into a big pit and introduce poo-eating bacteria. As the bacteria reproduce, they introduce oxygen to the mix which cases the bacteria to reproduce faster, consuming more poo. Eventually, it reaches a critical mass where you have lots of bacteria and very little poo left and they cut off the oxygen causing a massive die-off of the bacteria. Let the whole thing dry out and you have a fertilizer made using human waste but actually composed of a bajillion bacteria corpses. It’s a whole big specialized process and I doubt it’d be available to most septic waste companies.

That is a very accurate description of the municipal system here.
A friend of mine was trying to give me some ducks(bluebills-scaup, even referred to before this as shit-ducks!) his boys shot and he didn’t have the time to process them. The ducks stunk like shit, come to find out they shot them on the shit ponds outside of town. The ducks must like the warm water in the 1st pond as that was the only pond they would use.