What do we think of ELO, do we like them?

When they induct a band into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, do they generally specify which specific members are included? And is it usually the founding members, or the “classic lineup,” or what?

There doesn’t seem to be a set rule, and politics undoubtedly enter into it. For example, eight members of Yes are being inducted this year: Jon Anderson, Chris Squire (posthumous), Bill Bruford, Tony Kaye, Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman, Alan White, and Trevor Rabin. That’s a combination of the classic '70s lineup and the '80s comeback lineup that made “Owner of a Lonely Heart,” but it means one founding member is being snubbed (original guitarist Peter Banks, who like Squire is deceased). On the other hand, Roy Wood getting in for ELO can only be a nod to his being a founder of the band, since he left before they had all their big hits.

‘Mr. Blue Sky’ is one of my favorite songs, but I don’t know any other songs by them that even come close.

For that matter, Wood was only with ELO for the first album.

A lot of superb songs. Basically the earlier stuff is the good stuff.

Does anyone not like Can’t get it out of my head?

Check out Night Rider:

Yes and ELO. Two bands who should have been in for many, many years. Better late than never, I guess.

I must chime in here. I, too, thought delving into deeper ELO cuts would be a good thing. I love their sound and the Jeff Lynn style (except when he applied it to make Beatles music*). Sadly, I was greatly disappointed in their double album, “Out of the Blue”. Wiki says it was their most commercially successful album selling 10 million copies worldwide. I dunno… Something sure eluded me. It amazes me how some super groups can put out some amazing stuff AND some mediocre stuff all at about the same time. Don’t they see the secret formula that works magic for them?

*I believe Lynn produced “The One” CD of unreleased and/or unfinished Beatles stuff? I believe Jeff Lynn and George Harrison were always close, and the Jeff Lynn influence is a bit too much IMHO.

1” was a compilation CD containing Beatles songs that had hit #1 in the US or the UK. You’re probably thinking of the “Anthology” project, which included three CD releases of unfinished and alternate tracks.

The Anthology CDs included the songs “Free As a Bird” and “Real Love”, which were based on rough tapes by Lennon. Lynne worked with McCartney, Harrison, and Starr to produce the finished, “Beatles versions” of those two songs.

Other than those two songs, I don’t believe that Lynne was involved in the Anthology CDs (which were produced by George Martin).

And, yes, Lynne and Harrison were quite close, and worked together on several projects, starting with Harrison’s album “Cloud Nine.”

I agree that Out of the Blue is their weakest and most overrated album. It has some great songs (esp. “Mr. Blue Sky”) but 2/3rds of it is mindless filler.

Face the Music and A New World Record are more of where it’s at.

Peter Banks wasn’t really instrumental to the band (other than naming it). If it wasn’t for 90125 (“Owner of a Lonely Heart” album) and subsequent albums, Tony Kaye probably wouldn’t be there either. Still doesn’t explain Roy Wood, unless the HoF just wanted some sort of lifetime achievement and figured this was the best way (or unless Lynne pushed for his inclusion).

Possibly not, though Kaye was also the keyboardist on Yes’s first three albums (most notably, “The Yes Album”). But, without his return to the band during that 1980s run, I agree, he probably wouldn’t have been included in the Hall induction.

Uhm, as much as I like Wide World of Sports with Jim McKay, “Fire On High” by Electric Light Orchestra from Face the Music in 1975, was actually used in their competitor’s show, CBS Sports Spectacular!

:cool:

I just want to chime in on the classic “turned disco” accusations…I never heard it. Just don’t get it. I see how the sound changed some but I’m not hearing disco (very).

You don’t hear disco in “Shine a Little Love?”
https://g.co/kgs/383teC

Really it was that they went into a very simplistic, radio seeking, more heavily synthesized sound and it was during the disco era, so they got tarred. Not that criticism wasn’t warranted.

The “Discovery” LP has always been considered as their disco album. I know that when it was released many die hard ELO fans at that time hated it. I bought it, but just checked my record collection and notice it was the last ELO album I bought.

You can’t go wrong, IMO, with any of the records up to Discovery.

I don’t think any other song on “Discovery” has a definite disco beat/feel and one song does not establish a trend, or you’ll have to include the Rolling Stones and the Eagles–to name a few–as well.

I’m surprised they have that many hits. I can only think of Don’t Bring Me Down, Blinded By the Light and Evil Woman off the top of my head.

Then again, they are a little before my time, so I only tend to know of ELO songs from “cocaine montages” from films set in the 70s.

ELO trivia detail:
Which band holds the record for having the most Billboard Hot 100 Top 40 hits, 20, of any band in the US chart history without having a number one single.

Answer: ELO

Question 2:
Which band ranks 2nd with 18 singles without a number one?

Answer: Journey

“Blinded By the Light” was by Manfred Mann. It was a cover of a Bruce Springsteen song. ELO never recorded it.