What do you call quarterlight windows?

Vent windows. I don’t recall hearing wing windows.

What do you call the ports that blow heat into the cabin?

I used to love those underdash vents, though. My first car, a 68 Plymouth, had them and the vent windows, too. I called it poor man’s air conditioning.

The little window. Dear Og in heaven how I miss those things.

If the window can swing open, then it’s a vent window. If the window doesn’t open, then it’s quarter glass.

I have never heard it called quarterlight.

In my 74 Bug, it’s the Air Conditioning. :smiley:
I tell my wife I need to turn on the AC and then I pop open the vent window. :wink:

Agreed

Why did they go away? Is it strictly a matter of stylistic choices and customer demand? Not enough modern buyers want them so car designers don’t include them? Are there more practical matters at work? I’ve had people tell me they were an easy entry point for car thieves. Is/was the true? What’s the truth here?

I always heard them called vents or side-vents. Side-vent I guess to differentiate from the lower vents.

I also really miss them. They could really suck in a lot of air without having the terrible noise of an open window right next to you.

couple reasons:

1. roof crush standards means the A-pillars are getting thicker and bulkier, so there’s less room to put in a useful vent window, and

2. they’re bad for aerodynamics.

1. Easy to pry open and unlock door. (Lost my first tape deck this way)

Cigarette windows.

Vent window or wind-wing.

Vents.

That was my understanding as well. I had never seen the term quarterlight applied to windows where the glass moves (until the OP), but googling I see that it is used that way.

We just called them the vents or vent windows. I think the last car we had that had them might have been Mom’s station wagon (1966 or so).

And yeah, they were useful for the parent who smoked. Not so much for letting the smoke out, but for discarding the butts afterward (and often the emptied packet :smack:).