What do you generally listen to when you are in the car

For everyday driving I usually listen to local talk stations or NPR. On road trips I try to find the smallest, most obscure AM stations. Listening to Ag reports, the local livestock auction, and gardening, fishing/hunting, handyman shows, etc. give a nice sample of local culture that I find fascinating. Driving I-10 in Louisiana can give you a few stations where they intermingle Cajun French and English, often in the same sentence.

New Age Radio Free (aka: Enya)? I got that, too. Shepherd Moons is positively transcendental, but that’s no good for the commute. And shit.

Silence. I used to listen to music radio with a format of soft rock from the 1960s to 1970s, but seldom can find that format anymore. And since I hate commercials (which take up a huge amount of radio playtime) I would be constantly switching channels. Since I drive relatively little anymore it’s not worth setting up alternatives.

I love Sirius XM and listen in both my vehicles and stream at work and home.

As a musician, I listen to a wide variety of music channels from the 50s to present in different genres and the Volume (music talk) channel. I will lighten it up with some comedy once in a while. Of course, that’s if I can wrestle control from my kids and the Kidz Bop channel.

I also have a large CD/Mp3 collection, so I can pull up almost anything I want to hear.

Various podcasts, music radio or sports, generally in that order time wise.

Generally talk radio - either BBC Radio 4, or Radio 2, depending on the time of day and hence the programmes on.

Otherwise, on longer journeys it’s a mix of podcasts (This American Life and BBC history programmes) or audiobooks.

I’m not a big music fan, which i realise makes me a freak.

“This is NPR. National Public Radio.”

Or some very noisy stuff via my phone. I couldn’t even tell you what the local music channels are here in Charleston.

NPR when I commute to and from Seattle, music on KEXP (college station) when I’m in Seattle. (The NPR station plays jazz during working hours, of which I’m not a big fan.)

Almost always Sirius XM, specifically channel 34 (Lithium), the 90’s alt/grunge station, sometimes channel 42 for reggae. If I have an immediate need for Pantera, I switch to CD’s.

Otherwise sports talk radio, national ESPN radio in the morning, local ESPN sports radio in the afternoon.

For short trips, music radio (genres: modern rock, pop, classic rock, and 104.3 WBMX throwback jams). For long drives, sometimes I’ll plug in my phone and listen to Kesha albums. Normally I don’t listen to talk radio except for Cubs games.

User name / post combo.

So I took a little peak at this thread I started and was gladdened to see all of the votes for Radio. Maybe I’m not as old fashioned as I thought I was, and a lot people still rely on the old built in AM/FM. :slight_smile:

Then I read the comments to discover that a substantial portion of these were Sirius XM, and realized that I’m a old fashioned Fuddy Duddy after all, :frowning:

On my trips to and from work, mostly silence. The stress of traffic and rude/careless motorists ruin my mood too often to be able to enjoy music.

On leisurely drives, especially back country roads I’ll listen to either good stirring hard rock on satellite radio, or from one of my USB flash drive custom mixes…or Pandora.

Conversation, if I’m not alone in the car.

If I’m alone, a mix of music radio (alternative rock: WRNR-FM and DC-101) and a thumb drive with several dozen albums on it.

If I have the radio on its almost always NPR or depending on the city/region maybe the Bob&Tom show in the mornings.

Mostly silence unless it’s a long trip or I have people in the car who insist on music. When I do play music it is exclusively Spotify playlist or Spotify Stations.

I usually listen to podcasts, though sometimes I listen to old-time radio shows that I’ve downloaded from archive.org (my favorites are “Have Gun, Will Travel”, “X Minus One”, and “Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar”).

I’ll put music on when I have other people in the car, or if the drive will be too short to get though a complete episode in a round-trip (I don’t like stopping in the middle of an episode). When I do listen to music, it’s mainly current pop, modern rock, and alternative that I stream off of my phone.

I voted “Music CD”, which I feel is the correct answer to the spirit of the question. It is technically incorrect because I’d estimate that the actual mechanics of it don’t involve the physical CD most of the time. My car automatically rips music CDs to its local HDD. So probably 45% of the time I’m listening to those rips, 50% of the time I’m listening to the album from my plugged in iPhone, and 5% of the time I’m listening to the physical CD while it’s being ripped.

But I’m listening to specific music albums (not a shuffled or otherwise playlist) almost all of the time in the car. And mostly albums where I’ve actually purchased the physical CD or plan to do so (the iPhone Apple music subscription case, which I use to discover new music that I’ll purchase a physical copy of if I like).

That’s the car case, but my regular commute is bus or bicycle. In those cases I’ll listen to podcasts (only on the off-the-street portion of the bike trail) or read a physical book (not on the bike!).

I guess that sounds pretty old school in a way, although I mostly never listened to the radio. Nowadays when I catch local radio stations in an Uber or shuttle or whatever I’m always taken aback by how vacuous and insipid the hosts and commercials seem. But to each their own.

My car radio is always – without exception – tuned to CBC Radio One, commercial-free public radio similar to NPR. Besides the freedom from commercials, another nice feature is that if you come across something particularly interesting or informative, you can usually find it as a podcast on their website, which can be streamed or downloaded.

We have Sirius/XM in the car, but quite frankly most of the time we don’t bother to turn it on. It’s mostly for long trips.