What do you pay for garbage pick-up?

I think we pay about $35-40 a quarter to Waste Management. They provide us with a big wheeled trash can and we can put other stuff along side it. They pick up twice a week - heavy stuff on Fridays. They won’t pick up construction debris - but if we box it and tape it up and it’s not too heavy they will. :wink: Limbs must be bundled. No leaf sucking here - that would be cool!

This twice a week pick-up thing appears to be strictly in the south. Is it due to a longer hot, stinky garbage cycle? We get once a week here and I don’t know anyone in the Chicago area who gets it twice a week.

Find out where the mayor lives, and you will… :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Waste Management, $42.50 every other month for a single 32 gallon can, max weight 70 lbs, weekly pickup. Two recycle bins and they’ll take anything but cardboard has to be busted down flat and no larger than 3’ x 3’. Yard debris is every other week, one additional 32 gallon can that has to be marked with a “Yard Debris” sticker or one large paper yard debris sack. Once or twice a year we have curbside hazardous material pickup for used motor oil, paint, etc.

Larger amounts of yard debris can be taken to a private mulch dump but you have to pay by the ton, or pay the transfer station per ton rate of 64.86 + 8.50 transaction fee. Transfer station will accept recyclables free along with hazardous waste–don’t want it going into landfill. Transfer station fees for mixed garbage are 96.14/ton for untarped/uncovered loads plus an 8.50 transaction fee with a 20.00 minimum charge for 240 lbs or less. Tarped/covered loads are 71.14/ton + 8.50 transaction fee, minimum charge 17.00. You get a 3-6 dollar rebate if you separate out recyclables from the rest of the load at the dump site.

$22.40 per month. Once-weekly pickup of their giant wheelie bin plus 2 recycling bins. We’re in the city.

We used to live out in the boondocks, and paid $27.00 a month. (Most people out there just took their trash to the dump themselves.) We allegedly had recycling, but had no bins, and I’m pretty sure the garbage man just threw our recyclables right in with the rest of the garbage. I tried not to think about it.

That’s the way it goes around here, in the suburbs. Nobody pays a seperate bill for garbage collection; it comes out of the taxes. Around here, you supply your own garbage cans. We have recycling bins (purchased from the city for something about $10), but I have yet to hear a clear explanation of what you can recycle in them, or how much effort you need to put into separating stuff out. The lady at city hall didn’t seem to know herself. I put in paper, plastic bottles that don’t have a deposit, and plastic bags. The bin was emptied on trash day, so I guess it was all good.

For large items, like furnture and appliances, you can call for a special pickup, but usually scavengers will take the item the night before. Yard waste usually has to be put in those big paper bags, which you can buy at hardware stores.

The closest recycling center to me is the one in Royal Oak. It’s only open for a couple of hours on Saturday morning, and I’ve never actually made it up there before it closed.

About $25 a month here. I’d rather just pay to take it to the dump but the greedy bastards at City Hall won’t sell me water unless I pay for trash service as well.

Freakin’ monopolistic grumble grumble…

Ours is included in the property taxes. For now, anyways… the city hasn’t been able to balance a budget in years, which means they’ve resorted to creating new taxes and slapping fees on all sorts of things that used to be “free”.

We divvy up the garbage into organic waste (green bin), recyclables (blue bin) and inorganic waste (garbage). There’s weekly pickup of unlimited green bins since they’re usually the stinkiest and most voluminous of the three, while blue bin and garbage are picked up on alternating weeks (blue bin one week, garbage the next). No limits on anything, though there’s been talk of limiting the amount of garbage bags on a per household basis - not that I worry, since we usually generate less than one bag every two weeks once we’ve sorted out the organics and recyclables.

Arlington Heights. Seriously. I just heard about it a week ago Monday (they were discussing garbage at the Palatine council meeting for some reason.)

Allied Waste, $85 quarterly. They’ll take up to nine cans a week, although I’ve fudged that a couple times and they’ve taken more. They’ll also take cardboard, etc., if it’s near the trash cans. And, of course, they take Christmas trees at specified times.

We can sort our recyclables or not; they don’t pick those up separately but sort them at the facility. I try to sort them, but don’t get too compulsive about it.

They don’t take toxic materials but LA County has roving “toxic roundups” in various communities, so once a year or so I make a trip to whereever to get rid of those. As for furniture, some of the local communities have “dumpster day,” where you can bring your big items. A charity looks them over and, if they’re good enough, the charity will take them. Otherwise, into the big dumpster.

When I moved into my house, there were a couple of interior doors I wanted to get rid of because they broke up the space funny. We took them down, and then left them by the curb for trash pickup. A neighbor came by and asked if he could take them, since they’d look great in his house. So the big stuff does get taken, one way or the other.

I got y’all beat. . . my house pays $400 a quarter for 2 55 gallon cans picked up once a week, three unreasonably small recycle bins, and one 55 gallon lawn clipping/brush can picked up every two weeks. We tend to trash a lot of recyclables because there’s no more space in the bins-- which sucks. All cardboard has to be cut into 2-foot squares (and if it’s larger than a 2-foot square, they’ll just leave it in your driveway). For a long time we had a scary-hoarder-like level of broken down (but not cut up) cardboard boxes in our basement, from moving and furniture and amazon and gifts and who knows what else. We just never had time to chop them up. They stayed there until we got our roof replaced and asked the roofers to let us put some in their dumpster. Now we leave the cardboard boxes out for the gardener, who removes them for a small fee.

We tried taking them to the dump, but they wanted them cut up into 2x2 squares, too. Don’t know what the gardener does with them-- perhaps he takes them to another county where the garbage people aren’t insane.

My parents, back in Jersey, have municipal garbage. Part of the property taxes, and they will take anything and everything you leave on the curb.

Mine is rolled into my water bill which is about $20 a quarter. I live in an island of unincorporated land (surrounded on all sides by “real” towns) so we’re on a public well and private septic tanks. Property tax might pick up part of it but I know the ‘subdivision’ (such as it is) takes the sole bill I pay to them and allocates some for trash pick-up.

I once called the trash collection people and asked about putting out large objects. They said that, simply put, just about anything I could haul to the curb under my own power would be picked up free of charge.