What do you think is going on with Gavin Newsom? He's sort of MIA

Here’s a story:

This is fueling some “booster shot is bad” talk since he hasn’t been seen in public or on video since receiving his.

Knowing Gavin (I don’t personally know him, but I have been following his career since he was a San Francisco Supervisor), I would guess that it either really is “family issues” (meaning Gavin is involved with someone who is not his wife and that has blown up his family) or it’s a substance abuse problem.

He was recently quoted in a story that appeared just a few hours ago (granted, not the same as being “seen” in public):

Here is another statement he issued over the weekend:

Well, I’m concerned and hope he’s ok. I really hope he isn’t embroiled in a nasty scandal. That would probably start a recall effort all over again.

His wife kindly asked people not to hate on her husband by speculating about his sudden cancellation, then deleted her tweet. Looks like he was doing things at the Capitol and will be resuming normal appearances later this week.

“Last week Governor Newsom worked in the Capitol with staff on urgent issues including COVID-19 vaccines for kids, boosters, ports, the forthcoming state budget and California’s continued economic recovery,” Lopez said. "He will have public events this week related to the economy and vaccines.”

In response to the growing speculation (fueled largely by a lack of transparency on the part of Newsom’s office), Newsom’s wife Jennifer Siebel Newsom, tweeted over the weekend, "It’s funny how certain folks can’t handle truth. When someone cancels something, maybe they’re just in the office working; maybe in their free time they’re at home with their family, at their kids’ sports matches, or dining out with their wife. Please stop hating and get a life.”

~Max

I think I read somewhere that he once had an alcohol problem – perhaps still does. Stuff like that can happen to the best of us. It would be extremely hypocritical and downright nasty to be judgmental about it. Which means Republicans will be all over it.

No real time for that - the next CA gubernatorial election is exactly one year from now on November 8, 2022 and I doubt the political will is there for another one of these expensive exercises with that looming.

A scandal might sink him in the regular in 2022, but it would have to be a pretty ugly one. I mean he-isn’t-even-bothering-to-run ugly. And the Republicans have to settle on someone who can win in CA and Larry Elder is NOT going to do it for them. Faulconer might have an outside shot if he wasn’t apparently unpopular with the more rabid sections of the R base. If he can’t escape the primaries which seems possible, the Republicans are kinda fucked. Even then it would still only be an outside shot and at that only because Faulconer has some standing in southern CA as the former moderate mayor of San Diego. But the Dem dominance of executive offices in CA these last several political cycles means there really aren’t a lot of popular figures in the Rep party with both statewide name recognition and who aren’t extreme polarizers that will drive Dems to the polls. I mean Kevin McCarthy is known, but he isn’t exactly beloved outside of Bakersfield :wink:.

It’s a deep hole to dig out of. Not impossible, but CA is a bit of a big, blue fortress.

Yeah, the righties around here in CA are giddy with anticipation of some shred of news that something negative has happened. I think they are the only ones ginning-up his so-called absence here. Nothing to see - move along.

Looks like we can all breath a deep breath now - he is still alive, and he missed the trip to Scotland because he spent Halloween with his family…it was not a COVID-19 booster vaccination reaction after all…

Newsom has not appeared in public since Oct. 27 and characterized questions over why he had no public appearances last week as “interesting.” His office told SFGATE that he worked out of the Capitol all last week.