What do you think of my Hypothetical Tattoo? (ethically and aesthetically)

You confuse me here. If you dislike doing things that are uber popular, why are you considering getting a tattoo? Few cultural things more trendy right now than getting a tattoo. I say crochet a pair of pants with the eye in it. Now that is not trendy.

And yes, I have been convinced in another thread that there are many reasons people get tattoos other than to follow a trend. But the fact remains that it IS trendy right now.

Whenever someone considers getting a tattoo, I ask them the same question: Do you still like the shirts you wore 10 years ago? 20 years ago? 30 years ago? You can’t change a tattoo like you can change your wardrobe. If you’re OK with that, knock yourself out.

I have 12 tattoos, on both arms, my whole back, both hips, and left calf. I got the first one at 19, I am 34 now, and so far have no regrets except that some other people can’t look past them. But, the way I see it, they are the ones who have a problem, and if it wasn’t for tattoos they probably wouldn’t like me for some other superficial reason anyway (too short, don’t tan, whatever). When I’m old… well, I’ll still be in halfway decent shape and my tattoos will still look good, or I’ll be wrinkly and gross and nobody will look at me anway. So far I’m going with the former, since people usually assume I’m about ten years younger than I actually am.

I, too, always recommend that anyone considering a tattoo choose the design they want and wait at least six months to a year. I’ve never thought of the mirror part, possibly because I don’t have a full-length one and pretty much the only time I use one at all is for makeup, contacts, or hair, but that’s a good idea. Besides that, shop around for a good, reputable artist who can produce the image you want to scale without holidays in the color, etc. If you see someone with a tattoo you like, even a stranger, most people are ok with it if you approach them and politely ask where it was done as you’re considering getting one yourself. While it’s great to get a deal if you can, it’s worth it to spend more money to get the best work possible. Even though many tattoo artists will do cover-ups on a poorly done piece, I was friends with the woman who did mine (we’ve since lost touch, I’ve heard that she got into some trouble) and from her conversations, I gather they don’t look highly on either artists who do bad work or the people who wear it. (On the other hand, a girl who had what I would consider really crude work once said she didn’t like mine because it was too “artsy.”) Also, if you go to another artist to try to have an existing piece “fixed,” many artists won’t touch another’s work that way.

If after considering getting a tattoo from every possible angle, you decide to go for it - welcome to the club!

sigh

No, Thudlow, that’s not what I meant, and I think you know it. I meant that you shouldn’t avoid a symbol simply for the fact that it is part of another culture. I would think you would give me sufficient credit for not claiming that it’s okay to get a symbol that is associated with hate and persecution.

What if the person got it because it is the Navajo symbol for the Sun?

That’s not quite what you said; you brought up meaning. And I was responding to the statement you made, not to you personally or what I thought you believed.

I’m still not sure whether I agree or disagree with your main point, but even if I agree in general, it’s got some major exceptions, which is all I was trying to point out. Symbols do have meanings to different groups of people, and anyone who’s going to wear a symbol (whether as a tattoo, or on a tee-shirt, or jewelry, or a bumper sticker) ought to be aware of its significance and what conclusions people might draw from it. (As the OP was making sure to do; so this isn’t a criticism of the OP.)

I couldn’t tell you. Inexplicable urge, really. Heretofore I was rather repelled by them but the second I came upon that lovely Eye of Horus, the primitive part of the brain that goes, “Ooooh, shiny!” went into overdrive. :wink:

And I do knit…but not pants. Can’t crochet, though–people say it’s really easy, but I never seem to be able to pick it up.

I’ve been considering this since about February/March, which I’m not sure is really long enough for my peace of mind. I have this terrible tendency to dither and shilly-shally about doing things for years on end, and then in the end I shout, “To hell with it!” and then go do whatever it is anyway, and people think I’m shockingly impulsive.

You know, I don’t think you’d be saying this if you could see the shocking state of my sock drawer… :frowning:

Amen, FilmGeek … I’ve a little tattoo below my right shoulder, and damn, I know for a fact other body parts are gonna be horrible if/when I reach 70. Cellulite? Check. Gravity doing its business? Check. Age spots? Check. Double (if not triple) chin? Check.

One lil tattoo - heh, I don’t think it’ll freak the grandkids out that much.

I got my tattoo as a sort of rite of passage. I’m terrified of needles and needle pain, and I needed to prove to myself that I’m not a total wimp. So I picked one of the most sensitive spots on my body–my spine–after a lot of thinking. I designed the symbol I wanted then hung on to it for several months.

Yes, it hurt a lot, but at least I didn’t cry or faint. That’s all I wanted.

She won’t have to explain it to the grandkids–everybody else’s grandma will a tattoo too.

You know, I heard somewhere (maybe here on this board) that the difference between people with tattoos and people without tattoos is that people with tattoos don’t feel the need to comment negatively about the other people’s lack of tattoos.

As far as tattooing being “trendy”–I think tattooing was a big trend a few years ago, but instead of dissapearing, it has become just a regular part of our culture. Sort of like men piercing their ears. First, virtually nobody did it. Then it became hugely trendy, and it seemed like everybody was doing it. And now, it’s just something that’s done by folks that want to do it.

–Green Bean, who has no tattoos.

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/hep_c/news/090902a.html

Just don’t get more than you bargained for

Yea, that’s where it’d probably end up. but in colour? And how big? And what if it looks terrible? And what if my leg falls off?

-manx (who is a coward)

So long as you go to a reputable place which throws away its needles every time and sanitizes all of the rest of its equipment, there should be little to worry about.