What do you think will disappear in your lifetime?

My dad was sure bullfighting would disappear, as well as rodeos.
Not because they were hard on the animals, but just that the shrinking farm culture would make them seem anachronistic to urbanites.

I think land line phones will follow the way of the phone booth, as fewer people use them and the infrastructure maintenance is no longer justified.

Probably all types of cassettes, and waiting for the bus without knowing when the next will arrive.

Phone Books. I never use one to find a number. I go straight for the internet.

Well, analog TV broadcast signals will be a thing of the past in a few months!

Along those lines, I think traditional radio broadcasting is going the same route. How much longer until the FCC mandates that all radio broadcasts will be of the satellite variety and we must all comply with the new technology or be in the dark…or, er, the silence?

Probably what they have lost in relevance to contemporary life, they gain in exotic appeal. The old becomes new.

You can never tell about things like this. Late 19th-century Europe was widely fascinated with the American Old West, and, just as in America, kids over there played “Cowboys and Indians”.

[Gaudere warning!!!]

Including one future leader of a large Central European nation.

[/Gaudere warning]

The Arctic ice-cap. I hope not, but I have a feeling I’m going to live to see this.

I don’t know if people will be letting go of their landlines anytime soon, barring a sky-high increase in costs. A cell phone simply doesn’t cut it in some situations, especially for cottages and rural homes, which don’t get the same level of cellular coverage (and probably never will).

Analog cellular service will soon go the way of the dodo, though. I’d be surprised if there are any carriers in any country still running analog networks in 5 yrs.

Civil liberties, if this trend continues.

Won’t businesses still use landlines, even if there isn’t much call for them residentially? I do think the payphone will pretty much disappear, though.

CRT televisions will likely stop being produced in my lifetime (I’m only 22 and they’re already being phased out!)

I think smoking sections in bars and restaurants in the USA will cease to exist in my lifetime. Georgia has already implemented a ban on them (or maybe it’s just my county, I’m not sure) and it’s been wildly popular.

Is it too much to hope that our reliance on fossil fuels will be extinct in my lifetime? Maybe when I’m sixty, I’ll be plugging my car in at the quick-charge station or replenishing the hydrogen cell.

My family will disappear in my lifetime, assuming I outlive my brother.

I’m hoping the bus problem will be solved when juggernaut buses are phased out and robot shared limosines, one every two minutes, will take over.

I’m thinking major record labels will cease to exist. People will be able to listen to new music and download their favorite songs from several different sources.

Video rental places. I was just telling my 15 year old son that he should look into a job at the local video store this summer, since by the time he’s grown they’ll be a thing of the past. I can totally imagine him trying to explain to future grandkids how video stores work and them being agog at the primitive movie-watching ways of the past. :wink:

CD’s. They’ll go the way of floppy disks. What a terrible, hare-brained medium the CD is!

Eh, no big deal. It’s already floating, so melting it won’t raise sea levels. Now, the Antarctic ice cap is another matter…

What do we mean by “disappear” here? Do we mean literally disappear, or mean “not be in widespread use anymore?”

Cassettes and vinyl records will always have a subculture of vintage audio enthusiasts to keep them around. And those people will be renewed every few generations when people see cassettes and records being used in old movies, and think “that looks cool! I want to have one of those!”

No way is some kid in 2070 going to watch the scene in Pulp Fiction where Vincent Vega first meets Mia Wallace in her house and she plays “Girl, You’ll Be A Woman Soon” on that reel-to-reel tape player mounted on the wall, and not think, “whoa! that thing is cool!” and try to track down a vintage one at some point.

There will always be people interested in vintage stuff.

But, yes, these things will NOT be widespread at all in the future.

Um, I think you mean Godwin warning. If I recall correctly, Gaudere’s law is that whenever you point out a mistake in someone else’s spelling or typing, you will make a typo in that post.

Or am I being whooshed?

I think that’ll apply to pretty much all portable media. If you want a song or a movie, you’ll just download it. This i already happening, but with increasing computer power and download speeds, as well as wireless coverage, it’s only going to get bigger. Why have a shelf full of movies in any format, when you can just download one in two seconds?

The passenger pigeon.