What does...raw brain taste like?

IANAD, but I would strongly advise you not to. Kuru, and all that, you know…
uh…did I just get whooshed again?

Ah, excellent. Thanks for the info, all! 'Much obliged.

I was under the impression that Kuru was from eating human brains, and that CJD hasn’t been proven to be caused by eating brains…were those incorrect impressions?

I would * hope* Ranchoth hasn’t descended into cannibalism, but you can never be too sure. “Trust, but verify.”

It was my understanding that CJD can be transmitted by eating meat contaminated with spinal cord material. It’s a pretty short trip from there to the brain, wouldn’t ya think? While a link may not have been proven, I sure wouldn’t want to be the one to put the hypothesis to the test.

I’m not sure it has been absolutely proven, but brains and as mentionned spinal chord are at least the main suspects for the transmission of CJD. That’s why they can’t be sold anymore over here (actually, some specific procedure for removing them at the slaughterhouse is mandatory).

I am fairly sure that the cannibal explanation for Kuru has been discounted. IIRC, the spread of the disease was related to mortuary practices and not because of eating brains. In fact, it is likely that cannibalism was pretty uncommon.

Here is a cite for my previous post. Is there really such a thing as cannibalism?.