What exactly is Al Franken's tax situation?

I live in Wisconsin, right on the Minnesota border, so i’m constantly bombarded with Minnesota political propaganda.

About a month ago Norm Coleman launched a TV ad stating that Al Franken “failed to pay taxes in 17 different states.”

Then just recently Al Franken seems to have retaliated with his own ad claiming that he actually “overpaid his taxes.”

I guess the answer to this question doesnt really affect me, since i can’t vote for Minnesota governer, but i’m curious, and not sure how to search something like this. Whats the straight dope on Al Franken’s taxes?

See post five in this thread: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=455302

Basically, his accountant screwed up. In most (if not all) states, if you earn money in that state, you have to pay that state its tax on that money. (And if his accountant didn’t know this, Franken needs to get himself a new bean counter!)

Since he didn’t pay state taxes on the 17 states in question, he doubtless reported the money earned in those states on his return to his state of residence. This probably explains how he could claim to have “overpaid” his taxes - if he had reported everything correctly, it would have cost him less.

[quote=“TNWPsycho, post:1, topic:467004”]

I guess the answer to this question doesnt really affect me, since i can’t vote for Minnesota governer…QUOTE]Nitpick: Franken is running for the Senate.

Presumably he can’t vote for Minnesota Senators either. :smiley:

That’s because they renamed the franchise the Twins when they moved from Washington.

:smack: I realized he was running for senate after i had posted, thanks for the replies though.