What fads in history can you name?

Sitting on flagpoles in the 1920s

Stuffing people into phone booths in the late 1950s.

Doing “The Macarena” in the mid 1990s.

What other fads can you name?

The pet rock.
Disco
CB radios
Bicentennial kitsch

70s fads from my childhood

The Hustle in the 70s

Chinese jacks in the 80s

Chia pets

Tamagochi

Pogs

Fidget spinners

Chia pets (ninja’d)
Pogs (ninja’d)
Pound Puppies
Beanie Babies

Cabbage Patch Kids
Garbage Pail Kids
Tickle Me Elmo
Furbies
Lawn Darts
Tamagotchi

Coed Naked clothing
BUM Equipment clothing

Clackers in the early 1970s.

Two Insanely dangerous acrylic balls strung together.

Hula hoop

There have been dozens of dances that were hip for one or two seasons, like the Twist or the Lambada, so it’s a field that maybe had the most fads of all.

Slap bracelets in the 90s.

Goldfish swallowing in the 30s.

They were called kerbangers when I was a kid. Quickly turned into weapons.

I remember another one, don’t recall what it was called but it was a heavyish wheeled thing you tied to one ankle and spun around while jumping on the other foot. Kind of like skipping rope with no hands.

I remember them from my childhood, but I have forgotten how they were meant to work. How did you play with them properly?

We called that a “Skip-It.”

You held a tab in the center of the string and swung it up and down to make the balls hit each other at the top and bottom. We got bored with that so we used them as bolos while playing army.

That was it. I guess I kind of skipped it. :rofl:

I’m not sure there was any safe way to play with those lol :joy:! My mother confiscated and disposed of them before someone had a major accident. I was a frequent flyer at the ER so she was wise.

The Twist, The Stomp, The Mashed Potato too…any old dance that you wanna do.

Ruff collars.
Thus leading to the Sumpuary Laws.

Ferns in Victorian Britain, aka pteridomania.

Another proof for that theory:

Tulip mania

Dance marathons in the 1930s.

Streaking

Ice Bucket Challenge

6-7