That reminds me of the fad of hanging raccoon tails from cars in the 1920s, which I don’t think was mentioned either. According to Google’s AI at least, this practice had a resurgence in the 1950s also probably thanks to the Davey Crockett craze.
A little on the dark side, but in the early 1960s, there was a fad among surfers and others in surf culture to decorate equipment and apparel with swastikas. I guess enough of them had their asses kicked by the still hale and hardy previous generation to trade them in for WWI era German symbolism like Iron Crosses and pickelhauben which are still sported by some Surf bands to this day.
I didn’t know that, and it’s interesting. What’s up with countercultures and nazi gear? The early punks in 1976/77 also dabbled in swastikas and iron crosses, although becoming the most anti-fascist a genre can get.
The surfers (and hotrodders, and bikers) of the 1960s were mostly interested in just pissing people off or intimidating them. The same is also true for the punkers except with an added dose of irony. A weird aspect of the Ramones was that Dee Dee and Tommy were nuts for Nazi paraphernalia despite their bandmates Joey and Tommy being Jewish. (Tommy’s Hungarian parents spent the Holocaust in hiding. Many of their relatives were murdered.)
I think you mistyped somewhere, Johnny was the real nazi of the band. And he took Joey’s girlfriend, that’s why Joey wrote “The KKK Took My Baby Away” about it. I think Dee Dee was only a fan of everything German, because he was of that origin.
ETA: and yes, they had some rather distasteful songs with nazi allusions like “Commando” or “Today Your Love, Tomorrow The World”. I don’t know who wrote them, but Joey sang them anyway.
And another i thought of: Wearing your belt buckle off center. This was apparently a thing back in the day (I believe common to Greasers); I learned about it here on the Dope.
That thread’s mention of Groucho Marx reminded me: the “Groucho walk” was inspired by a late-19th-century trend where young men strolled around in a distinctive bent-over gait with one hand clasped to their back.
Ahh, that makes sense - it may not have been a true fad. As Jeff Lichtnan told me on our thread, the fad had a tie-in because Ferrar Company was going to discontinue the Sunkist Fruit Gems last week. Apparently there was so much complaining from customers this week that they decided to continue the line. I’m thrilled - those candies are great since I like fruity flavors!