What food are high in vitamin E?

I read something a couple of weeks ago about tests that showed vitamin E helps muscles recover after heavy excersise. People who took vitamin E suppliments had less aching muscles the next day compared with people who took a placebo.

So what foods should I be eating i want to avoid a simple suppliment if possible.

wheat germ, cabbage, collard greens, kale and chard and the few I know of.

Onions:D

The staple of the ancient Egyptian craftsmen and pyramid workers… and look what they accomplished!

The Cat loooooves onions!

FWIW I saw a report Sunday morning on Fox News about vitamin E. The doctor said that vitamin E does not, according to studies, have any health benefits when taken as a supplement. He said that there were detrimental effects though; I think he said that people who take vitamin E are more prone to fatal heart attacks. He said that if you are taking vitamin E supplements under doctor’s orders, then keep taking it. But don’t consume extra vitamin E to improve your health.

He was specifically talking about taking supplements, and about the anti-oxidant effects; nothing about muscle aches, and nothing I heard specifically about eating foods high in vitamin E. So I would assume that getting a lot of vitamin E from foods is a good thing, or at least not a bad thing. (And the foods mentioned are tasty and otherwise good for you.)

I’m cooking beef and onions even as I type.

See here for the details, but you can’t get the level of E needed for good muscle recovery from food. A supplement is the best choice.

Bear in mind that there are several different compounds that are referred to as ‘vitamin E’, and they probably do have different effects on the body. I’ll see if I can dig up more info.

Polar bear liver, but don’t OD on it.

Here’s what the NIH thinks about E. There is a handy chart which lists some foods. That is not comprehensive, obviously.

More generally, here.