What foods and drink should I avoid to minimize the effects of sea-sickness?

I was told (on a rough voyage) to have an ice cream slice between wafers. Before I ate it, they said the sugar in the ice cream would help.
After I’d spent an hour vomitting up bright pink foam and convinced I’d brought up a lung?
It’s smooth. If you’re likely to be seasick, eat soft foods that will dilute the stomach acids.

The nearest I have to a remedy was: get up, have cup of tea, throw up. Accept that this is another fasting day and stick to sugary tea.
One of my bunkmates had one of those magnetic wrist pressure point things, she was worse than me. Projectile!

Lord Nelson knew the perfect way to cure your mal de mer,
And if you pay attention, his secret I will share,
To any seasick sailor he’d give this advice for free,
If you’re feeling seasick, sit underneath a tree.

(from Marching Inland, by Tom Lewis )

Fruit cup and sprite look at taste the same going both ways according to mrAru. The fruit cup is just in smaller pieces teh second time around. :smack:

Ginger definitely works. You can even eat some sort of ginger cookie or cracker and kill two birds with one stone because I have always found that having some food in my stomach helps control motion sickness (maybe low blood sugar adds to the dizziness feeling of the motion sickness). Drinking ginger ale (with real ginger) also helps. When I get really bad, rubbing the space between my thumb and forefinger helps (I guess there’s a pressure point there that helps reduce the nausea). If you are on a boat and have the opportunity, jump in the water - surprisingly, this helps.

Another thing I always do is face in the direction I am moving. Never ride backwards in any moving vehicle (I’ve had some close calls back when Southwest had those rear-facing seats and I was in Boarding Group C). Never, ever try to read anything while moving. And, no matter what you do, do not go beneath the deck of the boat - that’s a barf-inducer, guaranteed Unfortunately, once the nausea gets started, it’s hard to stop it short of getting out of/off of whatever is moving.

I do not know if I agree with eating highly sugared foods. I’ve always found that bland carbohydrates help (bagels, pasta, crackers).

I just want to say that while I have never been motion sick ::touches wood:: the best advice I can give is to keep eating and drinking.

I went to the Coast Guard Academy and there were lots of boat trips involved. A classmate had an inner ear problem, and from the second we cast off until he was back on dry land he puked. On a week cruise that became a problem, because you have to eat and drink or you can die. Dehydration is not a pretty thing. They shipped my classmate home with an honorable discharge and shattered dreams. But the one thing that I learned from talking with the corpsman is to keep something, anything in your stomach and to keep drinking. It’s better to have something inside to give back to the sea than to have the dry heaves, they hurt and as a poster said, can cause stomach bleeding. Seriously, if this is a trip of more than a day and continuous sickness is expected due to past experiences, pack a case of Gatorade. You will need the easy calories, hydrations and electrolytes.

I completely agree with this. My mom is very prone to getting seasick, and she once accompanied the rest of our family on 6 days of fishing off a 25 foot boat, 8 hours a day. She ate ginger and wore the wristbands, and she was fine, except for one day when there was a storm.

I disagree with some of you. The trick is to get to a point where the motion of the ship is minimized. You want to get as close to the centerline of the ship. The side to side motion is minimzed as the vessel is pivoting on the center axis. There is a reason why the wheel and the cookstove are generally located on the centerline. Also, on a larger ship, you want to get as close to the waterline as possible. The engine room is suprisingly stable. You won’t mind the diesel fumes and the deafening roar, all you care about is getting stable.

Try to get to a midpoint fore and aft also, to minimize the up and down motion of the ship.
Again, this is most likely the engine room. Not much of a view down there, but you probably don’t want to see those waves breaking over the bow and crashing into the wheelhouse windows.

I wrote about this a couple of weeks ago. My advice is stay of the frigging boat. Sorry, I’m still in therapy after projecting my organs through my mouth.

Chocolate pudding. It tastes the same on the way up as on the way down.

But since I never get seasick, it is still just a theory :smack:

How about a nice, greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?

IIRC, ginger was competitive with the standard OTC motion sickness remedies. But it’s preferable to them because it doesn’t make you sleepy. Any other stuff they tested didn’t work - including the wrist pressure bands.