What foods come out better in an Instant Pot?

Hmm. Probably that much liquid including what is in the meat/veggies. For rice anyway, what I said holds in my experience.

There is a panel on the front with a buttons so it’s a hardware thing as well.

I don’t typically do less than a cup of rice, but for a cup I use about 1.3-1.5 c water. Two cups seems like it would yield pretty mushy rice in a pressure cooker.

I tried half a cup of rice with a cup of water (which is what I do on the stove top with a splash of olive oil) and it resulted in a dried out mess that was stuck to the pot and had to be scraped out. I should try an experiment with more rice and more water. It’s just that even if it did work, stove top rice is simpler and doesn’t take much longer.

According to The Wire Cutter review the model I linked has two differences from other models that I would find useful:

1. The removable interior pot is flat on the bottom and can be used directly on a gas burner. Helpful for sauteing things ahead of time.
  2. The interior pot has stay-cool handles that also prevent it from rotating in the Instant Pot while stirring.

Instant Pots are great for “family cooking”. It’s an absolute game changer if you have kids and a hectic life. I can take a frozen ham or roast and have a boiled dinner for Sunday in the span of a few hours without having to watch anything. I can put in spare ribs for 45 minutes with a can of tomato sauce. Add potatoes and carrots for another 15 and have a hearty family meal.
As a part time foodie, it’s hit and miss. India has a decent pressure cooking culture with some good recipes. It can make some easy shredded meat for carnitas and the like. I just don’t use it a lot in those circumstances.

It’s the best (low odor) way to decarboxolate cannabis for cooking?

I’ve heard that they’re very popular among Indians and other people who like to make Indian food, and that there are more cookbooks and recipe websites than for any other cuisine.

Yeah, I’ve never tried something like half a cup of rice. But you’re correct – stovetop – once you have it down and it seems some people are just flummoxed by rice, and I don’t quite get it myself – when you take into account the time it takes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure, it’s not really all that much faster than the stovetop method. That said, the ability to just walk away from the rice and not have to worry about it once I set the IP going is nice.

I find that it cooks up rice and dried beans very well. I like it for making shredded chicken taco filling because it keeps the moisture in the meat. I use it for carnitas and bean dishes in the summer because it doesn’t heat up the place like using the oven woods (thus keeping the air conditioning (electric) bill reasonable. But, as mentioned above, the carnitas really should be finished off in the oven to get those burnt end bits. Wild rice does very well in the instant pot too.

The ability to set it to cook and then walk away without having to watch it is priceless.

I use mine for beans and lentils a lot. I don’t think it’s a whole lot faster cooking lentils but the texture is better.

Is it like a regular pressure cooker where you can’t actually use the full capacity? I’ve given away a 4-qt pressure cooker because I could only really use 3 qts of it.

The basic IP has a saute function. You don’t need to move the interior pot to the stove top. It’s the same heating element but you don’t put the top on it.

My understanding is that it doesn’t get hot enough to do good sautéing. It’s a weakness of all electric pressure cookers.

Wings. So much better air fried.

Not that I’m a saute expert but it seems like it works pretty well to me. I’ve read a lot about the IP and this is the first time I have heard that particular criticism.

My only problem with the saute function is that it seems to want to only be on for a preset period of time and I can’t figure out how to tell it to just keep on sauteeing until I say I’m done. It gets plenty hot enough.

Keep in mind that I don’t own a pressure cooker. This is typical of what I’ve read; https://therationalkitchen.com/5-reasons-to-buy-a-stovetop-pressure-cooker-and-not-an-instant-pot/

I’m the type of person who enjoys doing the research. I once realized that I had spent four hours looking into a garlic press which is way more time than I’ll actually spend using it. (It’s a good garlic press, though!) The danger is that reviewers will over emphasise a difference to make their review stand out. Maybe that’s the case here but it was a common point.

Yeah, I use the ‘saute’ function to brown chicken parts before making stock, and it heats up just fine for that.

I’m going to partially agree, and partially disagree with this statement. While I have used the ‘saute’ feature on an electric pressure cooker, it does a poor job of it. The reason isn’t heat in my opinion, it’s area. To get good browning, you either need a loooong time, or enough space to spread everything out. If you’re doing a big batch (and if you’re using a multi-quart pressure cooker, you normally are) you’ll be constantly doing a handful at a time with the limited space, or you’ll be simmering in the meat juices which doesn’t lead to browning.
For me, it’s easier to wash one more dish, and use a skillet on the stove and do a lot fewer batches. I also can see what I’m working on browning, which leads to fewer issues with over or under-browned meat. Now that doesn’t mean you can’t brown in the IP, but it isn’t ideal.

I use the saute function on my Instant Pot all the time and it gets plenty hot. Mine has three temp settings for saute: low, medium, high. I’ve never put it on high and generally use low. Crowding, as stated above, is a problem, but not temperature.

In general, I would say that the OP’s suspicion is correct. If you’re not looking to speed anything up, I wouldn’t bother getting an IP. That’s it’s #1 advantage.