What genre of music is Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett...?

They were just too versatile to be easily pigeon-holed. They don’t fit the connotation of “crooners” and yet in Sinatra’s early years, he did do a lot of crooning as did Torme. Many of the songs they sang are considered standards. Some are jazz standards.

Gordon Jenkins backed up both Sinatra and Cole and I can’t think of much that Jenkins did that would be considered jazz.

Since they were multi-faceted and since pop can be jazz, why not just continue to call the genre “standard pop”? Just don’t tell me that The Christmas Song is jazz. And don’t try to get away with saying that Sinatra crooned “I’ve Got You Under My Skin.”

Give me back my CD’s…I’m going home.

I don’t see how that’s “incestuous”. After all, Natalie Cole did a few songs of father’s, including some of his recorded vocals to make it sound like a duet-she won a Grammy for her version of “Unforgetable”, IIRC.

Natalie Cole’s records weren’t just incestuous, they were necrophiliac. Shudder.

Pop Standards

Hey, LoungeLizard, welcome to the DOPE! You have responded to a 13-year-old thread (we call them zombies); a lot of those posters are no longer around to reply. Zombies are sorta frowned upon by TPTB, unless one can really pull off a boffo resurrection. Just so’s ya know.

And excellent user name/thread combo–right outta the gate!

Yeah, keep this up and somebody’ll put a horse’s head in your bed!

Other names heard in this context are “Great American Songbook”, the notional list of canonical pre-Rock and Roll pop songs every pop singer of that era covered, and the radio formats “Beautiful Music” and “Music Of Your Life”, which feature a lot of Pop Standards in addition to the lightest kinds of Rock.

So, yes, it’s Pop, from an era when Pop meant Jazz, before Pop became synonymous with the various Rock hybrids that have defined popular music since the early 1950s.

(Want to know something that’s really pretty much dead? Ragtime, which was Pop before Jazz took off, pacem The Sting, which got the soundtrack wrong chronologically but right musically. After WWI, Ragtime was pretty much gone as popular music.)

[Moderating]
LoungeLizard, as burpo noted, it has been many years since this thread was last active. While we allow and encourage posts to such threads when the new post adds substantive new information, your post does not. Therefore, I’m closing this thread. Anyone who wishes to continue the discussion further should start a new one.