What Government Agency Investigates Banks?

Where can a consumer go to have a bank investigated on unscrupulous banking practices?

Depends on how the bank is chartered. The Comptroller of the Currency, the FDIC, & the FTC are three that I know of- depending on what violation, etc. I think you need to specfy the type of bank, and the type of “unscrupulous pratcice” for us to be more helpful.

Wells Fargo is the bank.
Unscrupulous practice that I speak of is the following.

  1. How they tack on fees. I have requested in writing for a list of all their fees, and still have not received them.

  2. The way they withdraw money first then add deposits. Example:
    I start with $0.00 and deposit $100 in cash as soon as the bank opens. I write a 50-dollar check and the person cashes it the same day. The next day I have a $29 fee telling me I have no money in my account and only $21 left.

Of course I have a new bank now but I really want someone to look at how they run their business. Or am I wrong?

FDIC and OTS, that is the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and the Office of Thrift Supervision. The Federal Reserve also has domain over some of the larger bank holding companies.

Banks have a lot of latitude with regard to fees they can charge, but still, the FDIC has a question and answer service specifically designed to help the consumer.

More specifically:

I’m thinking it may be regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC).
Their web page for consumer inquiries is here:

and they have the following to say:
"If You Have a Problem With a National Bank

It is best to try to resolve a complaint directly with your bank before involving an outside agency. If you are unable to do so or are uncertain about whether your complaint falls under our jurisdiction, the OCC Customer Assistance Group can help you.

General inquiries about banking laws or practices often can be answered on the phone by a customer assistance specialist. The specialist may also be able to suggest other ways for you to try to resolve your problem directly with the bank.

When resolution seems impossible, you may file a formal complaint with the OCC.

The OCC Customer Assistance Group

The OCC Customer Assistance Group was created to answer questions, offer guidance, and assist consumers in resolving complaints about national banks.

Contacting a Customer Assistance Specialist

You can reach one of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency’s customer assistance specialists by:

Telephoning 1-800-613-6743, toll-free (Monday-Thursday 9:00a.m. to 4:00p.m.CST)
E-mailing - E-mail to Customer.Assistance@occ.treas.gov;
Fax - Faxing to - 1-713-336-4301 or;
Sending mail to -
Customer Assistance Group
1301 McKinney Street
Suite 3710
Houston, TX 77010"

It’s common for banks to post debits before receipts.

If you will look at the fine print of your deposit slip, it’s likely it says it is subject to the bank’s collection/deposit/funds available policy. A written copy of the policy should be available from them.

Cash deposits should post immediately. If you had deposited a $100 check, that may have taken a day or two to post.