What??? Haliburton won the bid to rebuild Iraq in 2001???

Reeder for President?

I think there’s some good potential spin here for the Administration. Since the WMD’s didn’t pan out, and a lot of people seem to have problems with the other alternate explanations, I’d run with this one.

"It was not about weapons, or about liberty, or about terror. This war was about honor, integrity, and the fact that the United States of America keeps its word.

We told Haliburton they would be fighting oil fires in Iraq. We have taken the necessary steps to fulfill our part of that bargain."

I like Reeder threads. Anywhere else I’d have been afraid that the above would wind up being the dumbest post.

Sorry Airman, and Scylla, and everyone else drooling over what you perceive to be Reeder’s misfortune.

Read the quote in the OP again, with my emphasis added

Now, I don’t remember anything about oil in Bosnia and Kosovo, so what exactly is this press release talking about? What kind of services were covered in the bid-upon contract?

Might it be logistic services?

That seems likely, as the article linked to in the OP mentions that “Our employees in the Middle East are building housing, preparing meals, delivering the mail and providing many other vital services for our troops.”

Here is some more information about Operations Joint Forge/Endeavor that took place in the Balkans

There’s that damn word “logistics” again…

Is this what everyone’s raising a stink about when they mention the phrase “no bid” and the word “Halliburton” in the same sentence? A silly contract to build houses and deliver the mail? Well, that’s part of it, perhaps, but…

So, apparently, Halliburton has more than one contract in Iraq? How odd! Except not really. The same article has the meat:

So, while Reeder is being a bit silly with his OP, those who think they’ve “got him” are going to have the most egg on their faces, methinks…

Quix

"So, while Reeder is being a bit silly with his OP…

And Daffy Duck is a “bit” feathered.

Reeder: next time, just link to the blog from which you cribbed. I got a nickel says the blogger presented a stronger case against the administration than you presented in the OP , with regard to that link.

If you spent your day reading Halliburton press releases, and dug this up yourself, I apologize.

Upon further review: I didn’t click Reeder’s link until after I previewed. More quotes from the Halliburton OP link:

Reeder didn’t cite a discovery of Halliburton’s 2001 bid. He cited a Sept 2003 Halliburton press release giving Halliburton’s explanation for their bidding on an Iraq contract in 2001.

For the sake of argument: If one such as Reeder wanted to make a splash with this: One might read the Sept 2003 HAL press release. One might think “HAL bid on Iraq in 2001?!?” One digs up a news story from 2001 citing the HAL bid. One then posts “HAL won the bid in 2001 - and here’s HAL’s 9/03 attempt at a coverup.”

This OP is wrong on so many levels, rational commentary seems impossible, IMHO.

I don’t get it. What’s the big deal? So the Army is outsourcing a lot of the non-combat service and logistics jobs to civilian contractors? So what?
And what’s the big deal about Halliburton anyway other than it’s connections to Bush and Cheney? Who should rebuild Iraq? Hassan the Tentmaker, Inc? Ahmed & Sons Contractors?

Scylla, you fucking rock, dude!

Sofa King, I’m assuming you’re being facetious in light of quixotic’s post about the number of contracts Halliburton has had, and that some of them were no bid. Both Scylla and Airman were especially quick to make assertions without explanation and you’re cheering that on?

Thanks for at least part of the real straight dope, quix

Ya, sure, ya betcha.

I felt a little bad having a GD-like post in the Pit, so I thought I’d say this: Airman, Scylla, et al., I think you owe Sparky… er, I mean Reeder a bit of an apology. Or else you’re just cocksuckers. (heh)

[sub]Seriously, though. I remember reading from a few people in the december nonsense that he was pounced upon simply for who he is. It seems the same could be said to apply to Reeder. [Fake Histrionics] Where’s the outrage???[/FH][/sub]

december got pounced on for being a conservative, while Reeder gets pounced on not for being a liberal, but for being an idiot

[sub]thanks for clearing that up, taxguy. I thought december got pounced on for lying, misleading, poor logic, and trolling. I’ll be on the veranda since you seem to have december up on the cross.[/sub]

If it’s such an ok deal…why hasn’t the administration come out and told us about it instead of taking flack about it being no bid?

Reeder, dude, from the OP I wondered if there were maybe more than one contract. I was too lazy to go looking for them, so I didn’t plan on posting here – but then Quixotic showed pretty conclusively that the contract your PR talked about WASN’T the same contract as the no-bid one I pitted way back when it was announced.

Terrible OP – but Scylla’s reaction jumped the gun. Best to save the I-told-you-so’s for when you told us correctly.

Daniel

[sub]are we in a library now?[/sub]

Riiiiight. Gotcha.

Having bid on a number of government contracts, I’d like to point out the following:

That’s pretty critical language in a contract negotiation. They bid to write the plan. The actual fighting of fires, supporting of troops, etc is a separate contract. Was that one bid?

I won’t hijack this thread any more by talking about december. See my posts in the thread on that if you care to really understand my position, SimonX and Hamlet.

Oh come now, Hamlet. Scylla might sometimes come off a little bit abrasive and stubborn, but I’m convinced he’s a humorist first and foremost.

That first post is fucking comedy, intentional, inspired, and warmly self-conscious.

Anyone who can take the drubbing you guys have been giving him lately and then dive in with a one-liner like that is okay in my book, and I don’t give a damn what the rest of you say. That shit was funny.

Sorry for the bump, but this thread was recently linked to [sub]and I don’t think my post warrants an entirely new thread.[/sub]

Well I think we can finally put this cute little hypothesis to bed, Sofa King. Over heah in this Reeder thread, we’ve got Scylla saying, completely independent of any context of humor, “I think in a previous Reeder thread Reeder accidently showed that the no bid contract was actually bid… which was kind of funny.” Ironically enough (you know, in the way that is absolutely not ironic at all), we’ve got Brutus repeating the same lie… er, I mean mistake: “Reeder showing that Halliburton won a competitive bid for their work in Iraq.”

Fuckin’ A, Brutus Coulter, you provided the link back to this selfsame thread! You know, the thread that disproves the entire goddamned point you’re trying to make! I know that you pride yourself on blindly parroting the confusing melange of incompetence and dishonesty of your Republican “leaders.” Maybe I’m being blindsided, because this is one of my few encounters of such behavior up close and in real time, but ye heathen gods – have you no decency, sir?

And sorry for going light on you, Scylla. You’re not only the first one to mention Reeder’s non-mistake in this thread, but you’re the first one to resurrect it over in the other thread! What kind of horseshit is that?

From the Halliburton press release (Since your tiny brain didn’t ‘get it’ the first or dozenth time around.)"

Bolding mine.

You haven’t a leg to stand on. The Pentagon bidded the plan out well ahead of time, and when the need arose, they dusted off the contract and voila!, they already had a company ready and contracted to do the needed work.

You use an awful lot of words in this thread, but you prove nothing.