What handful of cable/satellite channels do you regularly watch?

HBO
MSNBC
FOXNEWS
PBS
Comedy Central
Cartoon Network (less frequent)

CNN
Weather Channel
ESPN
NFL Network
Discovery
SyFy
Broadcast channels for sports, local news, occasional TV show (such as Castle)

By osmosis (because my wife watches them obsessively):
HGTV (should just change its name to “Househunters TV” and be done with it)
Food Network
Cooking Channel

Anything on History/Science channels on dinosaurs, the universe, natural sciences, Life Without People type stuff. These are my go to channels. Then Househunters International on HGTV. Comedy Central, BBC-America, Ovation, PBS. Used to watch a lot more Bravo but I got burned out on Top Chef and they lost Project Runway, which I was also burned out on. If there’s nothing there I’ll hit TCM, AMC, FMC.

And sometimes I watch the Waltons.:o

Would it be technologically possible for cable/satellite companies to offer a la carte packages where you would pick just the stations you want? Obviously they won’t do it for financial reasons, but could they?

Cable has gotten formulaic and sooo boring. I do watch MSNBC for Maddow and Comedy Central for Stewart. Apart from that, I’ll watch certain shows like Gold Rush and The Little Couple because they seem more genuine than not. I’ll see Nova and PBS documentaries and some other documentaries that are not “reality shows” if they are well done and on point: generally about physics, the universe, etc. The rest of TV, cable included, is mostly total and utter crap. I’m spending a ton for cable and using 1% of it which I resent but at this point there is nothing to be done about it since I have a package deal for internet and phone as well. At least the internet service is fast and reliable. It is all through Cox.

I don’t have cable/satellite, but I like shows from the following networks:

History
TLC
Discovery
VH1
Spike (weekend car shows)
Cartoon Network (Adult Swim)
FX
AMC

Luckily I can watch most of what I want through Netflix or online.

Top of my list are GSN, USA, Cloo, TCM, BBCA, MeTV, AntennaTV, FoxSports South (during baseball season).