What happened to American Idol Kelly Clarkson?

Isn’t she making a movie with Sideshow Bob?

Tell that to MC Hammer (or anyone you see on Behind the Music for that matter). Most pop stars sign onerous recording contracts that pay them diddly. IIRC, members of TLC had to file for bankruptcy while their album was going platinum.

MC Hammer didn’t go broke beacuse he wasn’t making any money. He went broke because he didn’t know how to spend what he was making. He wasted his money on expensive items, bad investments, and the salaries of his employee/friends who were working for him. It is pretty easy for a wealthy person to end up broke if he doesn’t know how to handle the money or he doesn’t hire the right person to help him handle it.

Marc

I’ve got her chained to my desk.

I’m a little disappointed this even had to be explained.

Of course Hammer, TLC, and the lot got scammed by their producers. They STILL made a ton of money, though, and could have been set for life. But they blew it.

The AI contract is worth about a million bucks, IIRC. If you make a million bucks, you can set your life up pretty damned good, even if you’re working day jobs in a year until the day you retire. That makes winning American Idol worth it ten times over. But if you buy three Hummers, $250,000 in gold chains, and spend half a million starting up a vanity restaurant, you’ll be as poor as a churchmouse.