What Happened to Benny Hill?

Also with a search for “Tea Party Rally”

:smiley:

It airs on a local station here (Detroit area) late night on the weekends. I just coincidentally happened to catch part of it last weekend. I was a little bemused that they seemed to run disclaimers quite often when returning to the show. I remember when some cable station used to run this show in the middle of the afternoon when I was a little kid.

Because this sketch makes fun of Benny Hill’s habit of ogling young, pretty women who nobody in real life who looks like him would have a chance with, this is one of the few sketches I really enjoy:

DvD is far better than It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Benny Hill seems to me to be the Brit equivalent of U.S. vaudeville humor. Dated? Sure. Lowbrow? Absolutely. Funny? Sometimes. Done right, vaudeville will make me laugh. So will Benny Hill.

The worse the better! How do the Brits feel about Monty Python? …Esp when they poke fun at the Queen? Benny Hill is to sexual innuendo as the Three Stooges are to high-class society! Both are classic! :smiley:

Actually, the 3rd question was:

Q: “And, Jackie, can you give me their names and addresses?”
A: “No I can’t, and that’s a correct answer!”

Monty Python is pretty popular. Much of it still holds up, and the films are absolute classics.

When it comes to the Queen, most brits have a sense of overwhelming indifference to the monarchy (unless there is a wedding on), so queen based humour is fine.

Its a good point about the attitudes towards BH and the Carry on films. Both contain a lot of ‘dirty old man’ humour. I think the main difference is that Benny Hill outstayed its welcome, culturally. It was running well into the eighties, which was the era of political correctness. Carry Ons had already bitten the dust, and were remembered with more nostalgia.

Apparently, when “the Benny Hill show” was cancelled, Benny simply could not understand why. His show made ITV a lot of money in exports, and he couldn’t understand that the comedy landscape had changed.

Well, oops, that’s what happens when I hurriedly cut and paste from a untrusted website. I knew the old bald guy had won by some quirk in the last question, and that the Host (Benny) was pissed since the attractive woman would have won a trip for two to an exotic resort, and the host figured she’d take him since she had no boyfriend (or something like that).

Carry On indeed had petered out by the late 1970s (I think Carry On Emmauelle), but as I stated before oddly it came back in 1992 with Carry On Columbus, which, while it wasn’t painfully unfunny, certainly wasn’t on par with the earliest (1950s/1960s) Carry Ons. And since, according to Wiki, the long-planned ‘Carry On London’ was shelved after Peter Rogers’ death in 2009, I guess the Carry On series is well and truly ended

And speaking of Wiki, it states the Benny Hill show ran in various forms from 1951 to 1991! 1951? How closely did the Benny Hill show of that era mirror the later era of Benny at his Peak (say mid-1970s). Or is the Wiki article just incorrect on the dates?

But that’s just it- Benny Hill knew better than anyone that the young, gorgeous girls he lusted after would never give him the time of day! All of Benny’s attempts to score with cute girls end disastrously, and he invariably has to run for his life (from the cops, from the girls’ muscular boyfriends, whoever) to the tune of “Yakkity Sax.”

If Benny had gotten to score with a gorgeous young thing, that WOULD have been creepy. But he never did.

Benny Hill’s saving grace is that the joke is always on HIM. I recall one sketch where Benny is supposed to be an actor auditioning for an erotic role. He gets to HEAR the casting director on the phone saying, “I asked for a young stud- the one you sent me is 45 and fat!”

Does that sound like Benny had any illusions about his own attractiveness or sex appeal?

Benny Hill runs on Vision TV in Canada. Often, just prior to Father Ted. That’s about the only reason I watch it. It seemed a lot funnier back in the day.

Then it occurred to me that it may be a “modern” version of Music Hall type entertainment which probably fell out of favour when moving pictures took over.

I like it a bit better now. (except for the “pat the old, bald guy on the head” shtick)

This is what happened to him.

This. I have no idea why that movie is regarded so highly. Or regarded as funny.

It brought together a larger number of veteran comedians and comedic performers than ever before in a big-budget movie created for the ultimate motion-picture experience (Cinerama) at the technical peak of that kind of entertainment.

A Blu-Ray disc on a big screen home TV pales in comparison.

I don’t think it ever achieved its goals, but that was the laudable intention.