What Happened To Your Favorite Cartoons?

Nope, that cartoon was produced by DePatie-Freleng Enterprises. David DePatie and Friz Freleng were also responsible for The Ant and the Aardvark , Here Comes the Grump , and many other animated series.

Ferris, the canine you’re thinking of is Hong Kong Phooey, as voiced by the immortal Scatman Crothers.

Here he comes, here comes Speed Racer…

Actually, before CG got totally pissed off at our satellite company, I had Boomerang. Now we just have plain old cable and our cable company doesn’t get it. Dammit.:frowning: I want my Thundarr and old eps of PIrates of Dark Water back.

IDBB

I liked Black Star, and for some reason I can’t remember now Thundar the Barbarian. Loved the transformers and Buggs Bunny. There was one about earth being invaded and I can’t remember what else. Would know the name if I saw it.

You betcha. Good stuff.
Popeye, Roadrunner, Pink Panther, Woody Woodpecker, Pixie & Dixie (Jinx: I hate those mieces to pieces!"), all the Merrie Melodies, the Flintstones (Wilma!!!), Johnny Quest (big fan when I was a kid), Mighty Mouse, Moose & Squirrel, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Quickdraw McGraw, Hercules…<pant>

The real problem with this thread is that the old time cartoons don’t get a fair chance. Sure, kids today can see Bugs Bunny, but only in a mutilated form. All the hacking and gluing together that has been done just KILL the episodes. As was said earlier- no swallowing earthquake pills, no guns blowing up in faces, etc.

In addition, many very funny episodes (that carry with them a tremendous amount of cultural history) are never seen for reasons of having been deemed too offensive. Wouldn’t it help kids to understand the history of race relations in the US to know that as recenty as 40 or 50 years ago it was considered socially appropriate to laugh at sterotypes?

Whoop. Looks like the “Soapbox Lock” key was pressed down. Back to cartoons.

Bug and friends (non-mutilated)
Rocky and Bullwinkle and Company
Simpsons
And amongst the modern lesson learning cartoons… Recess and Arthur are both not too bad.

How anyone can stand horribly drawn garbage like Dexter’s lab is beyond me.

Anybody seen Galaxy High in, oh the last 17 or so years? That was one I enjoyed of a Saturday morning.

As an aside, anyone remember the name of a cartoon that I think was on Nickelodeon and I’m pretty sure was anime-style about a girl I think was called Honey-Honey who was raised by bees and was constantly on the run from some princess/rich lady who wanted to kill Honey-Honey’s cat, if I rememeber right because it had eaten a fish that had swallowed a ring or somesuch that belonged to her?

I’m thinking it was on during the era of those other strange cartoons, Belle and Sebastian and The Cities of Gold.

I can still sing the theme song from The Cities of Gold.

I really liked Sonic the Hedgehog…the version that ran on ABC, not the other ones. As far as I know, it died peacefully in it’s sleep, of low ratings. But it at least lasted long enough to bring the story-arc to a satisfying conclusion.

In more recent years, Cybersix really piqued my interest. Alas, fox chose to sucker punch it from their lineup, two episodes before the end of the season. It was replaced by anime battlingseizurerobots, I believe.

Ditto for Escaflowne, during it’s brief run. I even thought the new theme song was kinda catchy, if still no substitute for the original.

Least favorite? Well, let me put it this way…when the networks start a new “season” of programming in the fall, not all of the new series’ “make it.” About half of the new shows are decent, watchable, and well written. 80% of these good shows are cancelled within the season, 60% of them after being shuffled around the schedule for weeks to shake the remaining audience off.

The other half of the new shows are circuses. As in, “Bread and Circuses.” Mindless fighting or “game dueling” shows, which are mostly cheap Japanese imports; movie and product tie-in shows; and other mindless fluff.

All in all, 40-70% of all new shows don’t make it. Most of the survivors are the fighting/product tie-ins. There are more and more of these each year, the “900-pound gorillas” from previous seasons, and the soon to be “900-pound gorillas.” Soon, there will be nothing left but these shows. And when a major economic downturn hits, they’ll be dropped like the unprofitable albatrosses that they are, and they’ll take saturday mornings with them.

But worse than death, grim plague, hunger’s woe, or low-budget anime glutted schedules, are those poor pillaged networks who’s entire fall lineup fails. Then, we get 10 year old reruns of cartoons that didn’t sell in syndication. All the way till fall.

That…and Recess. That damned show just won’t die, and they haven’t made a new episode in two frigging years. We get Recess and Lizzie McGuire on ABC, reruns on Fox, and the WB shows nothing but “Yu-gi-oh.”

And don’t get me started on sports preemptions. Those make me want to burn Cooperstown to the ground.