What happened with American whiskey after Prohibition ended?

I’m assuming that Jim Beam and Jack Daniels weren’t allowed to keep their wares fermenting in barrels during Prohibition.

Did the poor Americans who were forced to live through Prohibition then–gasp–have to drink Canadian blended or scotch for another 3 or 4 years until their delicious, delicious bourbon aged?

This keeps me up at night.

I gotta say BossK, you do come up with some thought provoking threads…

Anyway, as I understand it, Whiskey was still manufactured for “medicinal purposes”, much like pot is today. While I don’t have a specific cite, I will actually take a couple of more minutes that the local government is paying me, and see what I can find.

Plato? Aristotle? Socrates? Morons!

~Only 14 1/4 hours until I am hanging with Better Than Ezra!

Damn I am good! I remembered reading that “medicinal purposes” thing somewhere…It was covered by our own Cecil Adams here.

Plato? Aristotle? Socrates? Morons!

~Only 14 1/4 hours until I am hanging with Better Than Ezra!

Seems that there was also a provision concerning wine. You could produce and even sell a certain amount of it, since it was considered a foodstuff. Italian-Americans in particular were upset by Prohibition, and needed some sort of provision to keep this staple going. I think you were able to transport and sell a certain amount of wine, but I’m not sure about that. Much of it had to do with Roman Catholics being pissed off about having their ceremony interrupted—though the Prohibition Party never did care much about what or how the Catholics felt.

Beer, despite its medicinal and theraputic effects on me, was right out, from what I understand.

From the Jack Daniel’s website

There was also a lot of, shall we say, cottage industry in appalachia at the time :smiley:

Keep on shine’n