What happens if you give a snake a too-small mouse?

… Or offer any pet reptile an undersized meal, I guess.

I have a ball python who eats small adult mice, and I got to thinking: what would happen if I offered a pinkie? Would he (she? Snakes are hard to sex.) consider it an appetizer? Turn up its little scaly nose until/unless the mouse lived long enough to get bigger? Would it even consider it to be edible?

Anyone ever had this with their reptiles?
ETA:it couldn’t possibly somehow screw up the digestive process, would it? The only issue I could see is if I started considering pinkies = full size for meal planning purposes and starved the snake, which would be quite dumb of me.

The snakes I have had in the past were never that picky concerning the size of mouse I fed them. If it was alive, and it moves around, my snakes would eat it. Why would they ever turn down a free meal, unless they weren’t hungry or were ill?

(Okay, this is GD, but I can’t resist: “If you give a mouse a cookie…”)

Reptiles in general do not have to eat constantly, but can eat and then fast for a while. They tend to be opportunistic eaters.

I would expect the snake to eat it and then see if anything else showed up.

… then he’ll get big and fat and the snake will eat him. :smiley:

Thanks for the replies, all. Kinda what I figured, and googling didnt turn up anything different, either, but wanted to ask around here.