What happens to something built on top of ice?

What would happen to something built on top of ice (like a house) when the ice underneath it melts?

just a curious question

It would get very wet as it sank.

Wetter than the balls of a little person who is standing in a deep puddle.

Nope, won’t get that wet unless a tall person is sitting on top of him.

I parts of Greernland, things like old WWll airplanes get covered in snow & ice and gradually sink deep into the ice cover as it builds up.

But you can build your house there if you want and use it for a while. Utilities are a problem and the nearest grocery store is a way far away. Need to really like isolation to handle this I would expect.

On a lake in Nebraska, you are OK until Spring. Then see post 2 & 3.

That’s a great start for a haiku.

Here’s an article on building on ice and problems when it melts.

National Snow & Ice Data Center

You don’t have to be frigid to work here, but it helps.

Going further north will solve the problem!

Oh… wait. Camp Century. :frowning:

Ok, let’s take the house example.

If you build it up really skookum and make sure it’s placed secure on top of an ice flow, and then, the ice melts, but then, the ice starts to freeze up again while the house is sort of in the middle of melting its way downwards (diagonally for some reason), then - that’s really a sticky situation, kind of being in limbo, and I’d really try to avoid that if you can.

But would the house undergo shrinkage as well?

cough Antactica cough

For rent: efficiency apartment; originally 3 BR split-level with integral garage.

I read of a community up where they have those ice roads - they would park a car on the ice on the river and raffle off tickets as to when it would sink in the spring.

I’ve read a few articles on house of the northern tundra built on permafrost. A house build on that frozen ground would help insulate the ground, so it would slowly melt and get mushy (peat bog). SO nowadays, most such northern communities in Yukon, NW Territories, Nunavut, etc. are built on stilts, with room for the cold air to circulate underneath.

Presumably the same would apply with pure ice. I assume we’re talking about Antarctica where the ice doesn’t melt. So the first point is to “spread the load” on pads, so that the PSI is low enough not to cause serious sinking. Then allow air flow under the building and insulate the crap out of the floor so heat from the building does not cause the ice to melt.

Or… some buildings look like they could be jacked up and moved if the ice below causes the building to sink, just move a few feet.