What has NASA ever done for me?

A page that lists off things NASA has developed that have had a direct impact on life on Earth:

And so on. It’s a fairly long list of things.

All right, but apart from the satellite imaging, weather forecasting, fuel conservation, sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health…

That reminds me of this Neil deGrasse Tyson clip.

I love my Velcro shoes…

I still want my personal jet pack and a decent ray gun.

I fucking hate Tang. The drink, that is.

We used to have this as kids and dad would always tell us this is what astronauts drank, I used to think bugger that I want some Coke!

Newton’s Third Law does present a slight difficulty.

:smiley:

That man is my new biggest personal hero. I could listen to him talk all day. He’s a Carl Sagan for the 21st century. He’s so passionate about what he does, and about getting other people excited about astronomy, space exploration, and science in general.

Neil deGrasse Tyson for president 2016!

Yes, but…

Great societies tend to do things that don’t have a direct impact on the masses, but are inexorably part of such societies. To not want a space program because it costs a $hit load of money and doesn’t directly impact you is unfortunate, because such great things are what come with such incredibly diverse and progressive societies.

Nonsense. It was sold by a Vulcan to a seedy Terran businessman to cover the cost of some kid’s college education in Pennsylvania in the '50s, when four Vulcans found themselves trapped on Earth after their spaceship failed to proceed, as detailed in Enterprise.

Among other things, NASA as the embodiment of our space program may have helped stop a cold war from becoming a hot one. I’m very happy we had a way to compete with the Soviet Union in some way other than arming ourselves to the hilt.

Anyone who takes Enterprise as canon has either never seen “A Night in Sickbay” or has refused to accept it for the mind-crushing piece of festering idiocy that it is.

The only canon Enterprise should be accepted into is the one that shoots it into an orbit around Neptune that decays over that planet’s least attractive region.