What I did on my summer vacation, or: I've had a hell of a week.

Last fall, I was approached about doing a radio camp. The university I attend sponsors a number of athletic and academic camps, so doing a radio camp seemed like a good idea.

Well, after a good bit of planning and nailbiting, camp was held this week. We had eight kids ranging in age from 13 to 17 with varying degrees of interest and experience. They learned about the history of radio, some non-commercial uses for it, production, writing, and performance. They also learned about music and programming. I did the history of radio and the non-commercial uses thereof. Airman Doors came and spoke to the kids about what he does in the Air National Guard, and the kids really enjoyed it. He brought some patches to give away and showed off his coins.

Anyway, [morbid, possibly crass statement] the London bombings happened on the day the kids went on the air. This taught them that news can happen quickly and change everything. The morning show became very news intensive, which it usually isn’t, but it taught them to be flexible.

That was also the day that a reporter for the local paper came by to do a story on the camp. The link can be found here. I was in the story. :smiley:

I’m sad that camp is over; we put in a lot of time and effort to making this work, but all the same, five days in a sweltering hot dorm with eight teenagers makes me grateful I’m a commuter student. Between the noise and heat, I’m ready to sleep in the comfort of my own home for about a week. :smiley:

Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot of new things.

Robin

Wow.

I wish they had things like that when I was young and indecisive.

What a great idea and what a good person you are for being a Positive Role Model like that, Robin!

Good on you!

And I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.