What if I email (maybe) hazardous info to a minor?

I started a thread in Cecil’s Columns about lettuce as an opium substitute.

I quoted from an 1831 book, Gunn’s Domestic Medicine. Gunn spoke fondly of a lettuce extract that he claimed was superior to imported opium. I didn’t post his recipe because I had misgivings about the ethics of it. I asked a moderator. He said no, and I won’t post it on the board.

That wasn’t the end of it, though. Somebody emailed me, requesting the recipe. I have no way of determining his age, and I sure as hell don’t want to give a synthetic opium recipe to a minor. This whole thing is starting to give me the heebie-jeebies. If I sent the recipe to someone who claims to be an adult (but isn’t,) would I be in knee-deep organic fertilizer? Maybe I’m being paranoid, but it seems pretty scary. This isn’t exactly meapons of wass distraction, but some kid could get hurt. :eek:

I guess you’re asking about the legal consequences, and I’m not competent to reply to that. However, if you’re not comfortable doing something, then by all means don’t do it. It’s not like you owe the person the recipie. I’m sure if they try hard enough they can find it on their own

You’ve given the title of the book and the name of the author. Johnny Wannahigh should shlep down to the library and find the damn recipe for himself.

I don’t see why it matters that the person is a minor isn’t opium illegal for everyone?

Treis, although Dr. Gunn claims the extract has the same qualities as opium, it is not an opiate. As far as I know, it’s not illegal. That’s an oversight on the government’s part, I guess.

I don’t think I’m going to be sending the recipe to anyone. As Larry Borgia and Bryan Ekers pointed out, the information is out there somewhere. Lots of libraries might not have a book from 1831, but some do. Thanks for your advice.

I hope you have a good lawyer, cuz your ass might be doing time in the clink.

I’m with Larry Borgia Ignore the request, don’t answer, delete it, forget it.

I understand most of the comments so far, being of the the ‘better safe than sorry’ attitude. However, you can’t pretend that this book is some secret - as has been pointed out, plenty of libraries can furnish such information, and there’s completely legit (and fairly cheap) facsimiles available on eBay.

What exactly is hazardous about this lettuce extract? The only dangers of real opium are overdose and addiction, basically.

I’ve not tried the stuff myself. Years ago, I tried real opium, and I didn’t like it. Fighting off sleep is one of my least favorite sensations. If lettuce extract acts like actual opium, another danger is falling tits over teakettle into your neighbor’s privet hedge. And Og forbid you should drive on that stuff. You’ll hit the brakes half a block after the stop sign, and not understand why that’s a problem.

Indeed. The same is true of antihistamines, sleep aids, and NyQuil, though, and I wouldn’t have any second thoughts about telling a minor where to find those. Just tell him not to operate machinery, drive, etc. for several hours afterward.

The question appears to have been answered to the satisfaction of the OP.

If anyone wishes to express opinions or formulate debates as to the appropriate behavior of a citizen (or even a Doper) in similar situations, we have other Fora in which to express those opinions or arguments.

This thread has come to its end.

[ /Moderator Mode ]