What if there's no Car Commercials? (I can dream, can't I?)

I was watching TV today and getting annoyed with the frequent commercials, especially those inserted into stations like the Sci-fi channel, that consist of psychic crap-lines and newly discovered products, the commercials of which, oddly, all sound like they are made by the same people.

I rate car commercials as being nearly as bad as psychic-crap ones and one level above the antismoking garbage. While I was tolerating this crap-fest of assorted lies, exaggerations omissions and tiny, unreadable disclaimers, I realized that, all day long, no matter what the station, at every station break, there is a car commercial.

There are at least 4 to 6 car commercials on every entertainment channel per hour, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (excepting when they switch to infomercials). They even outnumber the beer commercials during super bowls!

Can you imagine just how peaceful television would be if they dropped all car commercials? No more parading weirdly made or over exaggerated mini-movies about glorious cars, that kill almost as many people as cigarettes do and contribute to the deaths of unknown numbers more through pollution, are responsible for billions in insurance settlements, are the most stolen items, the most repaired items, and which can get one killed for lightly even scratching by mistake an expensive, custom paint job.

(And they’re banning cigarettes? Cars get probably as many people killed yearly as tobacco does.)

Still, imagine how cool it would be to not have a car advertisement in every station break on TV.

What? You got something against Joe Isuzu?

Y’know, Merc, it’s scary, but when I first saw the thread title, I thought of almost the exact same thing to reply with.

Great minds think alike… and so do ours.

Car commercials on TV are bad, I’ll agree. But they’re even worse on the radio. At least on TV they can show all the disclaimers in fine print. On the radio they have to recite them, and they do it really fast. It drives me nuts! Especially when they do it before the ad. That’s just obnoxious.

A few car commercials I remember and some I really liked.

The Mercedes one where the god Mercury is racing a cannon ball and the Mercedes passes both of them. Thought it was very funny.

The Saturn commercial (only saw it once or twice) where a fairly dykey, good natured female factory worker in coveralls is talking about eating like a horse and wanting a car that blah blah blah and I’m thinking hmmmm… she looks pretty good.