:What I'm Reading...

In the “3 Books You’d Grab…” thread, Daniel posted the following:

So, I thought it was about time for another “What I’m Reading Now” thread, just so Daniel knows he’s not alone. :wink: (Plus I haven’t been able to start up one yet, someone always beats me to it.)

My current “in-progress” list:
Lost in Translation Margaret Ball
Urban Nightmares edited by Josepha Sherman & Keith R. A. DeCandido (anthology of short fiction based on urban legends)
Diplomay of Wolves Holly Lisle
Patriot Games Tom Clancy
The Masterharper of Pern Anne McCaffrey
The Ecolitan Enigma L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
The BIG ElfQuest Gatherum edited by Cherie Wilkerson & Richard Pini
Sister to the Rain Melisa Mishaels

Your Official Cat Goddess since 10/20/99.

“I get along well with everybody.” --I.M.F.

Hmmm, hold on. Let me think.

The Lord of the Rings - Tolkein
Catch 22 - Heller
The Glass Teat - Ellison
The Encyclopedia of Fantasy - Clute & Nichols
Doctors in Gray - H. H. Cunningham
I, Q - Peter David
Howard’s End - Forster
Where I’m Calling From - Carver
The Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck

I should really get off the 'net and do some reading.

hmm. . . second time in I think a week’s time that I’ve made enough of an impression to have my name mentioned in someone’s OP. Maybe I should just free up the phone line and get back to reading those books I keep typing about :slight_smile:

Forgive me; I don’t really have anything new to add to this thread, but I can’t let myself leave any “what books are you reading” threads untouched :slight_smile:

Oh wait! I do have something to add! As Rocky would say, “Thank you MrKnowItAll!”

and you took my joke, one minute earlier, so I guess I should say something to add.

Anyway:

Lord of the Rings. I haven’t started it yet, but it’s next on my list, largely to do with this thing I have about needing to complete a book before the movie hits theaters. I don’t like my first impression of books-which-became-movies to be the movie version; b/c while it may not always be true that the book is better than the movie, it is my experience that the book is never worse (i.e. they could be equally good).

okay. Time to do some non-internet reading. :slight_smile:

Re: Lord Of The Rings. I thought The Hobbit was excellent, but the others just dragged on & on & on in exquisite detail about a whole lot of nothing. You’d do well to just read The Hobbit and then Bored Of The Rings, the Harvard Lampoon parody of the trilogy.

I don’t understand how people CANNOT be reading several books at once! What you feel like reading is so dependent on the mood of the day, time of day, if you’re tired or not, etc… As of today I am in the middle of
Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)
Nana (Zola)
Stranger in a Strange Land (Heinlein)
Breakfast of Champions (Vonnegut)
Things you Know that are Not So (I forget)

The run the range of nearly every mood you can have.

I only read one book at a time usually… I tend to read fiction in one sitting. My other reading tends to consist of fun books like the Novell 4.11 Study Guide or Linux for Dummies. I think the next thing I’ll read will be the Eclipse trilogy by John Shirley. Although Ian Banks has a new book out that I haven’t read yet… if I find that it’ll go first.

http://www.madpoet.com
Computers have let mankind make mistakes faster than any other invention, with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.

Kat – I missed hearing what everyone was reading too, so I started a thread in GQ – somehow, reading doesn’t seem mundane and pointless to this old gal. Especially in winter, when it’s hibernating time.

I’m reading some Joe Lansdale – hard to categorize – dark fiction, suspense, I guess.

And Memoirs of a Geisha, recommended by my daughter.

I’m reading a book of John Steinbecks short novels: Tortilla Flat, The Red Pony, The Moon Is Down, Of Mice And Men, and Cannery Row. The man really is a literary genius.

Ugh. I hate and despise Steinbeck.
Right now I’m working my way through:
Mark Twain’s Innocents Abroad
Larry McMurtrey’s Cadillac Jack
Martha Grimes’ The Old Contemptibles
William Gibson’s Mona Lisa Overdrive

~There is no statute of limitations on karma~

Recently finished Battling The Inner Dummy: The Craziness of Apparently Normal People, by David L. Weiner (No comments from the peanut gallery – I read it for a newspaper book review!)

Also just finished How We Believe: The Search for God in an Age of Science, by Michael Shermer.

Listening to Vulcan’s Forge on tape in the car.

About to start Virus: The Co-Discoverer of HIV Tracks Its Rampage and Charts the Future, by Luc Montagnier.