What in the HE double hockey sticks is it?

I mean of course Figgy pudding…doesn’t sound too good… I was just wondering if it is made from figs??..anybody ever eatin or slurped any?

Figgy Pudding - Yield: 4 Servings
4 oz Suet
8 oz Flour
275 ml Milk
6 oz Dried figs
2 oz Dried apricots
1 oz Dried apples
4 oz Prunes
2 oz Dates
3 oz Raisins
1 tb Honey
1 Wineglass brandy (probably this is 4-6 fl oz)
1/4 ts Ginger
1/4 ts Cinnamon

The day before making the pudding, put the apricots, prunes and apples to soak in water and put the raisins in the brandy. Put a large saucepan full of water on to boil. Take the stones out of the dates and prunes (if the prunes have them): butter a large pudding basin. Mix the suet and flour, then add the milk gradually to make fairly stiff dough: roll out and line the pudding basin with this dough, leaving sufficient dough aside to make a top. Melt the honey and stir in the ginger and cinnamon: add the brandy mixture. Pack the fruit into the dough-lined basin and pour the honey/brandy mixture over it. Put the suet-crust lid on the basin, then cover with foil and tie down tightly, leaving a long end of string to make it easy to lift out of the saucepan later. Put the basin in the boiling water and cook for two hours, watching to make sure the pan doesn’t boil dry: add more water if necessary. Turn out onto a dish and serve.
A word about the pudding basin, for those unfamiliar with them. This is a deep, somewhat narrow ceramic bowl, usually holding between1/2 liter to a liter. Old ones have no top, so that you must seal your pudding with its own crust, then usually with a layer or two of baking parchment and then lastly with foil to keep the steam and condensation out, the whole business crumpled down around the top of the basin and tied in place with thin string. This tying is something of an art, and is easy to mess up…which is why it’s such a relief that pudding basins with snap-on lids are now being made, both plastic and metal basins now being available on the UK/Irish side of the Atlantic. Your local cookware store may have some of these. Otherwise, if Tupperware [or your version of it] can withstand being boiled, you should be able to substitute a Tupperware bowl with a lid for the pudding basin.

“Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I’m worried about the difference between wrong and fun.”
~P.J. O’Rourke~

“Thanks for the figgy pudding.
Thanks for the figgy pudding.
Thanks for the figgy pudding.
You’re great, Uncle Beer.”

Ahh, caroling.

“Bodie, I noticed you stopped stuttering.”
“I’ve been giving myself shock treatments.”
“Up the voltage.”
-Real Genius

Four ounces of suet? I’m terrified!

Mmmmmm…suet…

Jeremy…

If your red lights are melting, you’ve parked too close.

For those of you who don’t know, or who can’t (or won’t) interpret the recipie, figgie pudding is not like what we Americans think of as “pudding”, it’s more like a fruit cake. And, yes, it contains figs.

“The large print givith, and the small print taketh away.”
Tom Waites, “Step Right Up”

So if “figgy pudding” is made from figs, what the hell is “cocky-leeky soup” made from???

TT

“Believe those who seek the truth.
Doubt those who find it.” --Andre Gide

Figgy pudding,bubble and squeek,toad in a hole, bangers and mash,ah, the joys of English cuisine. HMM ,suet fried in lard slathered with grease yum yum. And Now…( this is Flyp’s ault for reminding me)
Deck us all with Boston Charlie,
Walla walla, Wash., an’ Kalamazoo!
Nora’s freezin’ on the trolley,
Swaller dollar cauliflower alley’garoo!

Don’t we know archaic barrel,
Lullaby lilla boy, Louisville Lou?
Trolley Molly don’t love Harold,
Boola boola Pensacoola hullabaloo!

Bark us all bow-wows of folly,
Polly welly cracker n’ too-da-loo!
Donkey Bonny brays a carol,
Antelope Cantaloup, 'lope with you!

Hunky Dory’s pop is lolly gaggin’ on the wagon,
Willy, folly go through!
Chollie’s collie barks at Barrow,
Harum scarum five alarum bung-a-loo!

Duck us all in bowls of barley,
Ninky dinky dink an’ polly voo!
Chilly Filly’s name is Chollie,
Chollie Filly’s jolly chilly view halloo!

Bark us all bow-wows of folly,
Double-bubble, toyland trouble! Woof, Woof, Woof!
Tizzy seas on melon collie!
Dibble-dabble, scribble-scrabble! Goof, Goof, Goof!
I miss that lil possum.

“Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.”-Marx

UncaBeer-
Is this, by any chance, your major Xmas offering? If so, count me in, except I expect your shipping budget is already off the scales, anyway.

Figger that eating this will set a record for my already prodigious BUUUUURRRRPPP levels…

Or major holiday cheer in other bodily…arenas.

I checked in OED just to make sure I was right. Cocky-leeky: Soup made of a cock boiled with leeks. I sure hope that means rooster.

And what are leeks?

Leeks are vegetables similar to onions. An onion is a plant with an edible bulb. A vegetable is a plant raised for an edible part, as the flower, root, stem, etc. Edible means able to be eaten. There. That should cover it.

Born O.K. the first time…

If you are born again, do you have two belly buttons?

Did anyone else notice that UncleBeer’s recipe would yield over two pounds of pudding, but was designated as being just four servings?