What in the Heck Did I Just Watch or 134 Minutes I'll Never Get Back

I would also like to recommend the Christian Bale/Russell Crowe remake of “3:10 to Yuma” and the Peckinpah classic “The Wild Bunch”. A couple other Peckinpah westerns that I love are “Ride the High Country” and “The Ballad of Cable Hogue”, but they are an acquired taste. Some of the long drawn-out close-ups that people complain about from the spaghetti westerns were overdone, but oftentimes they are my favorite shots.

ITT: People who don’t “get” spaghetti westerns and Charlie Kaufman.

I watched I’m Thinking of Ending Things and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was tripping hard over all the time shifts in the farm house then the school stuff happened and that loooooooooooong ending shot of the pickup truck covered in snow as the credits rolled and I was all “Oh, so THAT’S what that was!” Sorry you didn’t like it, but if you think it’s all just “two people talking in a car” you really didn’t watch it. Do you really think the drive up ice cream stand was open in a blizzard with three teenaged girls managing it? Do you actually think that when there was a sequence with dancers dressed like the main characters those dancers were physically present in the school? Did you not wonder how it was that the young female character seemed to have about fifteen names and went from a highly intelligent discourse to nearly braindead dialogue identical to what the mother was saying? Did you not think the disappearing dog was odd?

Sorry, but you did not actually watch this movie at all.

I kind of liked it, but I like Charlie Kaufman stuff. Maybe a bit long. For instance, I liked catching how a cigarette appeared out of nowhere as she channeled Pauline Kael in the car.
I understand that the book is a horror book, and Kaufman changed the ending. You could see how the last part in the school could turn into horror pretty easily, and there was the don’t go into the basement bit.

I haven’t seen it yet. I used to enjoy Kaufman’s movies, but the last couple (“Anomalisa”, “Synecdoche, New York”) have been tough to get through.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a total classic Spaghetti western. I loved it but yes, you have to like those “man with no name” movies from that era. I’m 67 so I enjoy them.

We watched it, and it was very confusing. It really helps if you read an analysis such as this one prior to, or after, viewing.

I’ve seen some boring movies over the years but for me the most boring ever was 2001 a Space Odyssey. I was 16 and went to see it at the movie theatre and fell asleep.

If some could take Cloud Atlas and take all the scenes that go together and edit them into 4 concise stories, I’d appreciate it very much. I think that movie had something to say but my cut-the-shit meter was at 11 with all the random bouncing around in time.

Uncut Gems was tough to get through at the time but the more I think about it, the more I like it.

I just watched that, after putting it off for months. It was certainly an interesting movie, and both characters were well done. However, it does tend to drag, and the finale is… unimaginative. Still, I don’t regret watching it.

I had forgotten about that one! I see it’s on Amazon Prime free, so I know what I’m watching tonight.

(I’ve been waiting years to use the “the ugly one is ___ and him uglier still is ___” line in real life, but alas the opportunity hasn’t presented itself.)

My father loves old cheesy westerns. I grew up watching every stupid western imaginable and frankly it pretty much ruined any love I have for the genre. I can’t stand John Wayne and Clint Eastwood always looks like he’s trying to pass a particularly hard BM. There are a few that I like — the above-mentioned True Grit remake, Tombstone, Dances with Wolves— but most are just a waste of time.

And I agree that 2001 is phenomenally stupid. I guess it’s one of those “you had to be there” things.

The two worst, completely pointless, wasted-two-hours-of-my-life movies I’ve actually forced myself to sit through were Gosford Park and Mulholland Drive. 10 minutes into each I was ready to commit harakiri.

Well, that’s because you are incapable of understanding the genius of Lynch. You have to be informed to understand…

Naw, I can’t do it. MF is an untelligible mess, and anyone that says different lives inside of Lynch’s head.

I happen to enjoy the mess, mind you, but it makes no sense. I just like the ride.

Netflix has a new series called Somewhere Between. Starring Paula Patton.

Holy shite, she’s so bad. I think the story might be ok, but I just can’t watch her. I gave it 24 minutes and I want those minutes back.

The book was interesting and disturbing, but the longer it went on, the longer it became. It felt as though the last fifth of it was never going to end.

SWMBO read the book and even she commented on the thread title nearly word for word. The only movies I can think of that even come close to being as much of a waste of time as this are Glengarry Glenross and The Brown Bunny. Turds all.

I like offbeat movies and a lot of dialogue has never deterred me but these three are now my top 3 worst wastes of time.

That one was so bizarre I actually liked it. But on that basis I watched one of Yorgos Lanthimos other films, Dogtooth, which I found pretty excruciating.

I must admit that I hadn’t realized the Lanthimos directed The Favorite, which was relatively conventional (but still pretty odd) and which I like quite a lot.

Very strange movie. And depressing. And WTF? I have no idea what it was trying to say but it destroyed my trust in the review site that recommended it, and I mean permanently.

I was also a little puzzled and amazed at the same time by the film of the French director Quentin Dupieux - Deer Skin (this is his penultimate film)
Surrealism, absurdity and comedy - this is a cocktail that I think will not be for everyone, but if you like it, enjoy it !!

Stealing, stealing… stolen.

BREAKING: Video camera catches HMS stealing content from the SDMB while local residents gaze in horror!

Google Photos

Excuse me, but I did actually watch the movie. I never said that it was just about 2 people talking in a car. I said the first 5-10 minutes of the movie were 2 people talking in a car. I also said that when they arrived at their destination the movie took a strange twist and had me intrigued. That is why I continued to watch it. It became eerie and had me trying to figure out what was happening or going to happen. And no I didn’t think that the dancers at the school were actually there nor the ice cream shop was really open. That’s why I said it took a weird twist. It was creepy and unsettling. FOR MY TASTE it was too long, especially the school part. I did enjoy the middle of the movie.

Fair enough, but the OP did sound like you were bagging on it unnecessarily. And movie lengths have been creeping up steadily so the 134 minutes actually seems compact compared to a lot of these crashy fighty superhero movies that seem like they’re about eight hours long.