What is a “test for echo?”

A friend of mine is a Rush fanatic, and he was curious what the term “test for echo” (the title of a Rush album) actually entails. Also, if it’s not obvious, any ideas about why Rush would have chosen to name the album after this process in the first place. I’m asking this for him, although I’m curious as well.

I don’t think it is referring to any real test or process. The closest I can think of is a cable and wiring test device called a reflectometer, which sends a pulsed signal down a wire and displays the reflected signal to look for discontinuities, impedance changes, overall wire length and other characteristics.

“Test for echo” is when someone runs around with a duck trying to make it quack.

At least that’s what I read somewhere.

Sorry.

Carry on.

Thanks, Q.E.D. I tried searching for it, and came up with nothing but the CD, so its not being anything at all makes a lot of sense. I was just assuming it was something obscure.

And Qadgop the Mercotan, you’re forgiven. But only because it made me laugh. :smiley:

Wouldn’t it just be balancing the distance of the amps so the audience doesn’t hear one before the other and decide it’s an echo?