What is broken?

I have been using a 12 y.o. Aiwa stereo system and an ancient Pioneer AM-FM receiver cobbled together as my house sound system. The Aiwa provided the CD, cassette, FM, video and the Pioneer was just an amp since the radio part didn’t work. The Aiwa was designed as some kind of early sourround sound and wouldn’t run regular speakers so I used the headphone out to connect to the amp.
Long story short…CD quit working so I just ordered a new stereo reciever and will drag my old component CD player down from the junk room.

The end result should be way, way better.

Good Lord, what isn’t? My washing machine died two weeks ago. My dog has bone cancer. One horse has an abscess in her foot which requires daily soaking and bandaging. My miniature horse choked and now needs her food wetted down until it’s mush. I’ve been fostering a small dog trying to get it a new home for the last two weeks and got home tonight to find one of my dogs had attacked her. She’s at the vet ER. I’m spent. Literally and figuratively.

StG

I live with a building contractor. Ever heard the old saw about the plumber’s wife?

Everything is broken. He build and fixes all day. We live in ruin.

My Kindle, dammit!! One month past the warranty end date!

I got up one morning, and the screen was all wonky; had the cover-picture-of-the-day, plus multiple concentric squares into infinity, and the whole thing then kaleidoscoped in a circular spiderweb kind of way. I tried the reset procedure, but all that did was add the reset screen (tree on hill) into the mix.

In one year, I have filled up ELEVEN PAGES of index with all the books I have bought. Hundreds of dollars. But Amazon says the best they can do for me is sell me another one at about half price.

Those books don’t seem like such a good deal anymore if I’ve gotta spend a hundred bucks every year to get a new device!

I’ve some fancy new-ish Silhouette brand computer glasses, which I paid a lot for because they’re light as a feather and I love them. However, the tiny unique high-tech hinge on the right side broke yesterday. I can still wear them, but it’s dicey.

I don’t want to pay for getting it fixed because my husband is out of work and and we have to cut costs to the bone. I may end up band-aiding them and looking like a female Les Nessman.

1. The plumbing - We’ve had constant and ongoing issues with tree roots in the plumbing and the only real solution is extremely expensive and since the house is being torn down in 18 months, a definite waste of money. In the mean time we try to not shower while the washer is running and spend $100 every 3-4 months to rent the rotoroter from Home Depot and clear it out ourselves.

2. The back gate. Sandy knocked a huge limb off the maple tree and while gracefully avoiding everything expensive in the back yard it jarred the fence just enough to break both the locks on the back gate. Right now it’s being held closed by a large rock. Luckily dude who used to let my dogs out into traffice is dead and gone so it’s unlikely to be an issue. I probably can’t leave this one for 18 months though so I should buy a new lock.

3. In honour of the house having a tear down date I’ve started to use our butcher block countertops as cutting boards. It’s kind of fun after years of making my husband and the kids grab a cutting board for a single piece of cheese to just chop away.

Lessee…

Water softener hasn’t worked in yonks now. We need to replace it, as we have very hard water, but after putting a new metal roof on the house and a liner in our sewer main, it just isn’t a priority. Maybe next year.

The kitchen faucet leaks, and needs to be replaced.

I’m not happy with the showerhead upstairs, so I’ll probably get a new one when we get a new faucet for the kitchen sink.

We’ve yet to replace the panel/closet in the downstairs bathroom from when we had a leak in our old galvanized plumbing fixed with a new length of copper. It’s a little weird going to the bathroom and perusing your house’s innards, but there is a certain charm to it.

The plumbing to the upstairs bathroom leaks a little, but it’s got a band-aid on it. We’ve covered up the hole in the kitchen ceiling with some pegboard. Been that way for years now. One of these days we’ll get that fixed too, but since the band-aid is working for now, it might not be for a bit yet.

There’s no door to our bedroom. We’re slowing redoing the trim in there; haven’t had a door for nigh-on three years.

The house needs to be repainted, and the patio that we build a couple summers ago finished.

I think that’s all. We’ll probably do the faucet and shower head thing in the next couple of weeks, but apparently we’re just not the get-er-done types (clearly!).

The dishwasher. Technically it still works, so it’s not “broken”, but about every other time I run it water leaks out on the floor. I’ve had maintenance out three times to look at it, of course they can’t find anything wrong with it