What is extremely common in TV or movies but almost never happens in real life?

Hell, if I’m a sniper, I’m planning ahead so’s I’ve got time to pick up all those shell casings, maybe even tidy up the site. Why would I leave all those clues for the CSI folks?

Not to mention that pulling the slide back and ejecting a round just to make sure your automatic is loaded is a reprehensible waste of ammunition.

I’m just reporting the facts. “Two cartridge casings and an unfired round” seems pretty common. It could certainly be that the gun jammed and had to be cleared, but it does appear that non-professionals often operate the slide on a semiautomatic when they already have a round chambered. I don’t know where the line is between pros and motivated amateurs.

I was on a jury and the evidence showed an unspent round followed buy 5 spent casings. By the track, we could tell the shooter was backing away while shooting.

On the subject of crime scenes…

On anything I have ever watched where there’s been a murder, TV or film, that is in the US, investigators never seem to be dressed head to toe in those disposable white plastic forensic suit things, with the things that go over the shoes as well. They always seem to just be wearing their normal clothes. Quite often a detective will reach down and pick up a shell casing, lying on the ground, with a pen (the case will be hooked around the end of the pen).

No forensic suits, casually handling evidence. Is this common in real life in the US? Or just highly inaccurately portrayed?

I’ve always interpreted that cliche as a sort of “drama milker”. Pulling back the action on a semi-auto, or slowly and deliberately, and with great focus, pulling back the hammer on a revolver. An unspoken “I mean business!”

As one Simpsons writer pointed out regarding this scene, guns in fiction somehow become scarier the more they’re cocked.

That’s brilliant! :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t know the answer but my husband is always shouting at TV investigators: “Put on some gloves!”

I assume in real life they do wear gloves.

Actually many firearms do have a half-cock and a full-cock hammer position.

Real life photo of NYPD officer handling a knife used in a killing. Yep, glove just flopped over the handle instead of worn like a glove.

Appears to be a double action revolver, you can shoot it without cocking it’s just a much harder pull, so as a mafia intimidation it’s reasonable. Not the case with single actions but perhaps the most famous the Colt SAA has 5 positions - uncocked, “safety notch” intended to be its natural loaded state (much debated on whether it should be over an empty chamber or not here), loading notch which allows the cylinder to spin, a third just because(?), and lastly all the way back and ready to fire.

I cannot find the clip on Youtube for the life of me, but there’s a famous Simpsons scene where several people are talking back and forth holding shotguns and punctuate every statement with a cock. Cletus may have been involved.

It all depends on the level of the crime. They do not send out full CSI for most robberies or burglaries. And if it is a homeless person, maybe minimum if anything. The brits have less murders and do go all CSI with “Noddy suits” etc. In the US a high profile crime will have the full suits. Detectives often do not go in until CSI has cleared, and then just covers over their shoes and gloves.

Yes, Police often wear leather gloves normally, and often at a crime scene. But sadly yeah, the use of gloves like Cheesecake shows us is not rare.

Which was the setup for a one-off gag early in Hot Fuzz where Sgt. Angel can’t tell which member of the cleanup team is his ex (the joke being that the woman he first approaches is played by Cate Blanchett with only her eyes visible. )

People wielding pump shotguns are the worst about working the action. They’ve got to make the sound or else no one will know they’re serious.

Does that rule of cool move where you hold the shotgun in one hand and pump it by jerking it up and down actually work?

No one in movies or TV seems to know how microwave meals work. There’s never any peeling the film back on one corner, nuking it for a few minutes, taking it out, stirring, and putting it back in for the final nuke. My favorite example is from The Ninth Gate when Johnny Depp’s character takes a meal out of the freezer, tosses the whole thing box and all in the microwave, and pushes the magic “turn it on” button that magically knows how long to cook it.

To be fair, 18% of Dopers say that they ignore the instructions to stir a microwave meal.

Wait a minute! I can IGNORE the stirring instructions?

Anarchy…dogs and cats living together…

You can ignore any instructions. I won’t guarantee the quality of the final product, though.