19% now
. I rarely bother unless it is actually two things that need to be mixed together better after they thaw a bit. Just give it another minute or something - it will be fine. Compulsive stirrers are boot-licking sheep, slaves to THE MAN and his rules!
You’re failure to follow directions greatly displeases me.
They’ve fallen for the propaganda from Big Spoon.
I have never stirred a microwave meal midway through heating it. WAY too much work. I have never seen anyone do it, either. Maybe it’s a US thing.
Our microwave oven has two buttons, total. I throw the meal in there, slam the door, spend a second to turn a knob to somewhere in the right vicinity and walk away. Pretty much like they do it in the movies.
I heard that once in a scene- with a double barreled shotgun. (which has no such mechanism, although some crazy person did make a double-barrelled pump shotgun).
To be fair, many higher end microwaves nowadays have a “sensor reheat” function that pretty much does exactly that – you press one button and the microwave turns on and cooks until it detects the food is done (based on the amount of steam in the microwave, I think).
Or even on models without the fancy sensor function, some will have a “quick start” function. You put something in it and press, say, “3”, and if you don’t press anything else within a certain amount of time it will start and cook for 3 minutes. The one in the break room at my office does this.
I tried with an unloaded Mossberg pump shotgun and got it to work the fourth try. Of course, I’m no Sarah Connor.
You’re failure to follow directions greatly displeases me.
I find your lack of spork disturbing.
[/vadervoice]
“I am most seriously displeased”.
AnotherTV/Movie trope which I’m skeptical has ever happened IRL. The protagonist (usually male) who winds up with 2 or more (3 seems to be a popular number) of dates for a social engagement. Instead of being sensible and being straight with everyone, they decide to try and bluff their way through it, with predictably comic results.
How many dark streets with no one around are there in NYC, and why would people walk there instead of areas with people, open stores, streetlights, etc?
I just watched a older FBI, and this young woman step out of a busy restaurant, to get a cab- but instead of calling one or getting the Maître d’ to call one, instead walks down a dark deserted street- which is exactly where I would NOT expect to find a cab. Of course she is grabbed, bad things happen…
I have spent some time in SF, and at least in that comparatively compact city, that is not where Taxis would be. Hotels, busy streets, and- outside restaurants. Is NYC so different?
A lot of that depends on when and where exactly in NYC it’s supposed to take place. In residential areas (even in Manhattan) dark, empty streets are not unusual after the evening rush hour is over and most of the stores are closed.
I don’t think anyone would have tried to hail a cab on a side street ever - but pre- Uber it was not common to make a phone call for a cab in Manhattan. It would take forever if you even could. You’d either walk down the block to the avenue, walk to the subway station or you pre-arranged a “black car”.
A lot of that depends on when and where exactly in NYC it’s supposed to take place. In residential areas (even in Manhattan) dark, empty streets are not unusual after the evening rush hour is over and most of the stores are closed.
I don’t think anyone would have tried to hail a cab on a side street ever
Thanks for the local “in the know”. I appreciate it. But would not out from of the restaurant be a decent place to find one?
Depends on where the restaurant is - plenty are on side streets where there aren’t a lot of cabs just driving down the street looking for a fare. Hotels are a little different, because in Manahattan, they tend to cluster - there were five hotels on the block where I used to work. I probably would have been able to hail a cab on that block without walking to 8th or 9th avenue.
I don’t know if it’s “extremely” common on all TV but this seems to be extremely common on one show. Watching clips of Station 19 it seems like 90% of the time they are running around with giant CO2 fire extinguishers instead of using water and hoses. I’ve never been a firefighter but I’ve been to many fire calls. I’ve never seen them walking around with fire extinguishers.
It’s close but firefighter shows maybe the worst at showing realistic portrayals of the job. Worse than cop or military shows. It makes me appreciate what Emergency! did 50 years ago.
I’ve been watching clips of this guy recently. One of the things he does is green screen himself into TV shows to point out the absurdity of how they portray the job. Many are bad. Station 19 is by far the worst.
It’s close but firefighter shows maybe the worst at showing realistic portrayals of the job. Worse than cop or military shows. It makes me appreciate what Emergency! did 50 years ago.
I was told by a firefighter that seeing a lot of flame is not as common as on TV and film. More smoke. Anyone can confirm?
I don’t know how likely flame is but fires on tv are remarkably smoke free. In particular Station 19 seemed to have a lot of seens of the cast standing inside a burning building gabbing at each other. They don’t want to obscure the actor’s faces with smoke.
I don’t know much about the life of an FBI agent but I very much doubt that they fly on private jets nearly as much as shown on TV.
Good one. I wonder if some young FBI agent recruits have gotten disillusioned due to TV:
“What, I not only have to fly commercial, the bureau only pays for coach??”
When any law enforcement agency is about to do a ‘SWAT’-style raid on some place where bad guys are holed up, everybody is in full protective gear including helmets, except for the 2 or 3 main characters leading the raid, who have vests on but never helmets. Can’t obscure those attractive faces!
I don’t know how likely flame is but fires on tv are remarkably smoke free. In particular Station 19 seemed to have a lot of seens of the cast standing inside a burning building gabbing at each other. They don’t want to obscure the actor’s faces with smoke.
I’m not an expert, but on TV/movies it does seem remarkably common for a character to run into a relatively smoke-free conflagration. Probably because lots of bright flame is a lot more cinematic than the more realistic pitch black room full of deadly toxic smoke.
Also the most common cause of death in a TV/movie fire is not smoke inhalation. It’s dropping through the floor or having the ceiling dramatically collapse on you once you have saved everyone else.