What is extremely common in TV or movies but almost never happens in real life?

When I was a kid, I couldn’t figure out how wagering worked, because in the movies people just threw cash into a pile or handed it to someone who was holding a wad of bills. Nobody was keeping track of who bet on what, and nobody was worried about their bet getting lost in the shuffle. Was it some kind of honor system? This drove me crazy! It seemed to me that somebody should be recording these wagers in a notebook! :confused:

Similar is what I think of as “crazy Asian yelling betting”, when there’s some kind of underground pit fight going on, likely involving Jean-Claude Van Damme, and guys in the audience are yelling and screaming and waving bit wads of cash around. How on earth do these bets get recorded properly? How does anyone trust this system?

At least I don’t recall them using the trope of the Vehicle That Bursts Into Spectacular Flames When It Hits Bottom, or in the case of Where Eagles Dare, bursting into flames when it’s barely started down the mountainside.

Character has diabetes. If he doesn’t get his regular insulin dose he will die. WTF? He will get high blood sugar. This will lead to lots of medical problems which will kill you, but it’s cumulative. The damage is going to take decades of high blood sugar to show up. Short term, what is the problem?

Hypoglycemic shock can kill you in a matter of hours. What you described can happen with Type 2 or late onset diabetes-a whole different thing. Hyperglycemia (too high) can also kill you.

Exactly. My dad was a biochemistry professor and diabetic for most of his life. He told me many times that high blood sugar is bad but low blood sugar is critical. And it can happen quickly.

In the short term, the complication is that in the long term, it may get worse.

Over a few hours, there isn’t one, although the person could start to feel very sick.

Excess insulin and no sugar around? Yep, that can be fatal.

(Psst, TV producers, etc.: Diabetes is not, like, an allergy to sugar. It just isn’t. Mmmmkay?)

tell me something I’ve seen two movies where the character has hyperglycemia, part of the plot is the character has to eat every hour (or less) to an hour in a half or they pass out or go into some kind of shock

and it’s usually portrayed as them quickly scarfing some kind of junk and soda … does it actually work like that?

A) Nope. Hyperglycemia won’t do anything in the short term, except maybe make your breath smell weird. That’s part of the problem; diabetes can go undiagnosed for years until a complication like blindness or neuropathy crops up,

B) I find this stuff in news stories about kids who are missing and diabetic, or have lost their insulin and the parents are freaking. I repeat, WTF?

No message.

That’s not how HYPERglycemia works (“hyper-” meaning “too high”). HYPOglycemia (“hypo-” meaning “too low”) can result in unconsciousness, seizures, and even death if it goes too far/too long. I’m going to assume it’s the HYPO variety you’re talking about, and presumably the producers of such TV shows although it’s not uncommon for them to get this wrong, too.

Also, so far as I know, there’s nothing other than Badly Written Plot that would require someone to eat “every hour or less” ongoing. Which is not to say such a thing couldn’t exist, just that if it does I’ve never heard of it.

If the person is NOT unconscious then yes, a treatment for this is the consumption of simple sugars to quickly raise the blood sugar, and yeah, stuff with HFCS like sodas or “junk” would work. Orange juice or similar fruit juice is another choice. They do sell pills in pharmacies specifically for this purpose, but most diabetics I’ve known who actually have to worry about this sort of thing prefer more traditional candy, whether they should or not.

First, parents have a tendency to get emotional about their kids. Second, they tend to freak over missing kids regardless of health status. And third, someone who is insulin dependent really does need their insulin. If a kid is missing and doesn’t have access to this medication they’re going to start showing symptoms/problems in 1-2 days, becoming increasingly sick, weak, and disoriented after that, and likely die withing a week. This, however, is enormously variable and a person retaining a bit of natural insulin production could last longer IF they drank lots and lots and lots of water and avoided eating carbs. But you can’t rely on a very young child doing the right things under the circumstances. (Heck, even adults can struggle with diabetes management, it’s not at all easy.)

So… hypothetically, if a Type 1 diabetic (that is, dependent on insulin) gets lost in the woods but for whatever reason doesn’t have insulin with them (they forgot to take some on the hike, they lost it, a raccoon ate it, whatever) they should be pretty functional for the first 12-48 hours, meaning they might be doing all the stuff normal hikers lost in the woods do - often, all the wrong things, like running around in circles, panicking, etc. - and remain capable of doing smart things like building a crude shelter and NOT falling off cliffs or into rivers. After that, though, they become progressively more confused, and they may suffer nausea and abdominal pain. NOT eating can stave that off a bit, but if you’re talking about a kid lost in the woods if they find something to eat they probably will eat it. Even so, fasting will only prolong this phase, not avoid it. So… after 2-4 days our lost hiker is sick and not thinking well at all. This is the point where falling off cliffs or into raging rivers becomes more likely. They certainly are less able to care for themselves.

For diabetic kids lost in, say, a big city - you’ve got all the “normal” dangers of a kid lost in the big city with this problem on top. They’re going to be thirsty, very thirsty, and should drink water but will a kid resist drinking soda? Or refuse a soda offered by a well-meaning stranger who doesn’t know any better? If it’s not diet soda that will just make the problem worse. Then you have a kid getting sicker and confused - in a big city the odds of winding up in an ER where proper treatment can be applied are higher than if the kid is lost in the woods, but that assumes someone recognizes the kid needs medical treatment. Diabetics with this sort of high blood sugar crisis can appear to be drunk or high, so in a random encounter with authority that is not aware of the medical condition of the person said person in a medical crisis might wind up in a prison cell to “dry out” or “sober up”, only to fall into a coma and die, which has in fact occurred in the past. This is more likely to happen to a teenager, as a younger child showing signs of being drunk is more likely to be taken for medical care.

(My mother once worked for a gentleman who was diabetic who suffered an episode of hyperglycemia and got in a minor car accident, after which he was arrested and jailed for a DUI despite his protests he never drank (he really didn’t) because he was “obviously” drunk. The arresting officer either didn’t notice the medic alert bracelet or discounted it. It wasn’t until his wife was notified of his arrest and she pointed out that he hadn’t had any insulin for nearly a day at that point that he received any medical attention at all by way of the local ER, because at that point he was in really bad shape. He did recover fully from the episode.)

So the parents “freaking out” over their kid’s disappearance are having a freak-out because they know their kid is going to start feeling like crap within day, is going to become less and less able to fend for themselves within just a short time more, and without medication will likely be dead in a week. If a kid without diabetes goes missing for a week or two there is at least hope the kid is still alive. If the kid has had Type 1 diabetes for several years they probably aren’t going to last longer than a week at most without insulin, and likely not even that long. There is a real possibility that the medical condition alone could kill the kid in 2-4 days.

That is why there are all sorts of devices sold that will keep insulin stored at the proper temperature, from insulated containers to coolers that can be plugged into various alternative/emergency power sources, while either traveling or during a power outage, because for insulin-dependent diabetics it is critical to have that medication on hand and it doesn’t last forever at room temperature, or even very long. If they’re Type 2 and have some remaining ability to make their own insulin they’re not going to crash as fast and hard, they’ll just feel like shit and possibly mentally messed up, but if they’re Type 1 and have no insulin production at all, well, it is an emergency, or soon will be.

Possibly the best scene in The Other Guys was Ferrel and Wahlberg staggering around deafened from being close to a large explosion.

You obviously don’t watch CNN during “breaking news” - they are constantly repeating stuff.

AKA Tuco’s law.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrYtD7gSWsI

In fiction real life fast food places will look both crowded but clean. Look at anytime Subway is featured in a movie and there will always be a person at every single chair or table, but the fast food place itself will look like it’s brand new despite all the people.

Now I’m not saying you can’t have a crowded fast food place or a clean one, I see both all the time, but not at the same time. The McDonald’s near me (when it used to allow indoor dining) was always crowded inside but because of that constantly looked like a tornado blew threw it recently.

My first job where I got an actual pay stub for was at Burger King and I can testify that during the lunch rush from 11 to 2 they put me on dining room duty – all I had to was empty the trash and clean the dirty tables that weren’t in use, and I could barely keep up, once I’d finished the tables the trash was already almost full.

The worst example I ever saw was in the Red Dawn remake where in Communist occupied Oregon the Wolverines launch an assault on a North Korean checkpoint in a small town, kill a bunch of their soldiers, but are forced to run and take cover in random building when a Korean APC shows up. They jump into the building and despite the wreckage and months old rubble outside they find themselves in a perfectly pristine Subway restaurant that’s packed full of people eating sandwiches inside.

Now let’s not even get into how an American corporation behind Communist Enemy Lines is still getting their weekly stock refills (especially weird since the original movie made a point of saying Americans in occupied territory were starving) , but there’s literally enemy soldiers rounding up civilians to throw them into prison camps and outside the Subway is an active gun battle but there are people inside the Subway calming eating their food regardless of all of this. Also the Subway looks completely clean despite everything else going on.

Yes, Police are trained and ordered to never, ever do this. Lowering your gun can be done if innocent lives are at stake. You do not want to give the bad guys more firepower. Especially if they are bluffing and the gun is a toy, bb or made of soap.

Surely you know that Subway restaurants are headquartered in and funnel the profits to Pyongyang?

However a cap and ball revolver would not work if submerged. Under bubbles, maybe, sure, but not under water.

You can seal so some wetting won’t make the gun instantly a dud, sure.