What is extremely common in TV or movies but almost never happens in real life?

I get annoyed when the hero/heroine is holding a gun on the bad guy while standing several inches away, allowing ample opportunity for the bad guy to make a successful move to disarm him/her.
If I get the drop on you, Clem, I’m keeping my distance. And you ain’t getting anywhere near that ashtray.

The one time I fooled around with a cap and ball revolver we greased around the bullets, not for water proofing but to keep the fired chamber from setting off the adjacent ones. I’ve never checked but I would imagine a cap on a nipple is not very water tight, though.

Cool scene though.

I always assumed he was holding the gun above the water, hidden by bubbles. He doesn’t raise the gun up out of the water as much as pull the trigger and thrust it forward.

There’s a promo for one series in which a whiny female rookie cop tells a perp “Please don’t make me shoot you. This is my first day on the job.”

Honey, if you don’t have the balls to pull that trigger in the middle of a standoff, you got no business being a cop!

Things like this are one reason I don’t watch many scripted dramas any more.

Yeah, it is hard to tell, but at least in the bubbles.

Here’s the Red Dawn scene I previously mentioned, there’s 12 customers seated eating in that restaurant! The only time I ever see 12 people in Subway is when there’s a massively backed up line because the person at the very front has the most complicated order ever!

The movies i was refering to was paul blart mall cop and gene hackmans character in enemy of the state ,if youve seen them …

It’s been a dog’s age since I was,–way out of character if you know me now-- a regular, and I wouldn’t quite call it invereate, dropper inner, uninvited guest, longtime casual acquaintance. someone whose opinion was (go figure) eagerly sought out by manner people with far more formal education than i have, with whom I was on close terms. And if you could track me down, and many did, I was pretty decent and polite host as well (these things went both ways), This sort of thing, to a lesser degree, but it did happen, with people I was friends with in more casual terms mostly, my building, city block, jazz clubs, etc.

Yes, this was a pretty common lifestyle among urban Boomers through their youthful years, in their (our?) twenties and thirties. This way of living was common, in especially the hip urban centers of the major eastern cities. There’s some of this in Woody Allen’s angsty comedy-romances from the same period, and Woody nailed it well. As the years passed, Jerry Seinfeld, on television, focused on the same sophisticated but not necessarily smarter demographic, more caught up in real world issues, than Existential crises, and I sensed less “acceptance” from the Seinfeld types than in Woody’s (and my own) friends and acquaintances.

Reminds me of something that bothered me in the V series from the 1980s - the series takes place after a world-wide revolution against alien occupiers, and the struggle is still going on (since the aliens are still around, just not quite as dominant) - but characters can still go out to the mall and hang out, just like 1980s folks in a non-alien-invaded world.

Yes, I’ve noticed that in toothpaste advertising. I use fairly small amounts of toothpaste but sometimes feel the need to “ramp it up”

Another product like that, way over used in quantity, is laundry detergeant . Most washes, even fairly large ones, do not need to look like bubble baths for clothes.

Yes, and even on the brilliantly written and acted Hill Street Blues, the shootouts between cops and criminals, the sheer number of cops killed and wounded in many otherwise good and seemingly true to life episodes strains credulity. What happens is that in a tough run of eps dealing with violent gangs shooting it out with the police ends, when I see a high body count, what feels like one in three in Hill St. Precinct dead.When the deal toll rises to Anzio- Battle Of The Bulge- Guadalcanal proportions it starts ti feel unreal. Great show, otherwise.

It’s typical, I think, for drama shows to exaggerate the number of exciting things that happen. I watched ER regularly, and seemingly every week, there was a bus crash, plane crash, building collapse or other major trauma incident. I realize the show was taking place in the main public hospital in Chicago but still, I’ll bet that some nights in the emergency department are boring. But that makes for boring television.

Way back when Adam-12 was being broadcast in first run I read an interview with an LAPD sergeant and one of the questions asked was how true-to-life the program was. He answered it was pretty authentic “except for putting eight years worth of incidents into one eight-hour shift.”

That’s what’s impressive about Cops. When you realize how many boring hours of footage they throw away to get what they need to make interesting TV. You can’t predict when something is going to happen. It’s quite a time commitment they make. I don’t know if it’s true but I read they film 400 hours to make each 22 minute episode.

Considering the superhuman handgun marksmanship on display throughout the film, I have no quibble with the bubblebath scene. It’s a great movie.

I’ve known a couple people who worked in the “main public hospital ER in Chicago” (Originally Cook County Hospital, now John Stroger hospital). I’m not sure that you could EVER call a night in the ER there “boring” (the US Department of Defense has been known to train combat medics by rotating them through there, Chicago has that many gunshot wounds to deal with), but yeah, the show ER was over the top with catastrophes.

High school/college aged females making aggressive sexual advances on average looking overweight middle aged men.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but if you watch enough TV shows/movies about guys having mid-life crisis’s, this is apparently the #1 threat to them.

Cops in TV shows/movies have the same level of world caring as homeless veterans and orphaned teens, if a cop dies people even in their own police station just shrug their shoulders and carry-on. It’s either

“Remember when Detective Roberts went on a routine tip to that mob-run tuna factory and his body was found packaged in individual tuna cans? And none of the suspiciously bulky employees or the shifty manager had any more to say than that he probably deserved in for sticking his nose out? I think we should close that case since it’s going nowhere”

or

“We sent 3 police officers to investigate the last sightings of the missing woman by the old abandoned saw mill in the middle of the woods and none of them have reported back in a week. Let’s give it 3 more weeks, I think they may be onto something in there and need to keep a low profile.”

There was one episode where nothing much happened, for at least part of the time. Carter was catching up on sleep in an exam room; Green and Hathaway pranked him by putting his leg in a cast, then paged him for a code, laughing hysterically when he burst out of the room and promptly fell on his ass.

Imagine a thrilling episode where ER personnel treat the person who’s been showing up on a weekly basis for the past few years with imaginary chest pain or other pseudo-complaints, but has to be taken seriously in the extremely unlikely event that it’s for real this time.

On the other hand, there are probably few summer Saturday nights in a big city ER attached to a trauma center, where nothing of interest is going on.