What is extremely common in TV or movies but almost never happens in real life?

Either that or it was just another way of gathering intelligence.

Nope. We were neighbors who did what we could to help each other out.

If the officer is attempting to deter drunks from getting in their car and driving wasted, then he maybe he does want to be noticed. Even if it’s a plainclothes officer in an unmarked car, it creates a bit of a “panopticon effect”. You know “narcs” sometimes patrol the neighborhood during drinking hours. But can you always be sure when and who?

Except that what he is doing to “help you out” lets drunk drivers circumvent the law and creates a danger to the public.

No, it does not! How dare you accuse me! I prefer to avoid sobriety checkpoints because they delay my travel and open me up to inspection in general, not because I’m driving drunk.

Except you texting your drunk bar friends how to escape sobriety checks makes the roads more dangerous for everyone else on the road that night.

Again, I (and I assume others) avoid sobriety checkpoints because they’re generally a pain in the ass and involve interaction with police, which I avoid like the plague.

Wanting to avoid sobriety checkpoints does not equal DUI.

Not to continue this hijack, but wouldn’t most people with multiple possible routes choose the one without police interaction?

I’ve never had a DUI. I have been ticketed going through a sobriety checkpoint for non-alcohol infractions.

To be fair, I’m imagining your post as emanating from your avatar pic.

I drink a fuck-ton of beer at home and in bars. That doesn’t mean I don’t plan my transportation appropriately.

Please spare us your indignation. With several of your posts you’ve painted a picture of yourself as someone who a) drinks a lot and b) doesn’t hold a lot of respect for law enforcement as it pertains to your drinking habits. If that wasn’t your intent, then I suggest using different color paint.

While I might believe you are diligent about always using a taxi or designated driver (and that’s a big “might”), I find it harder to believe that all your friends are collectively just diverting their Ubers around sobriety checkpoints for convenience sake.

Moderating:

Gentle reminder that this is a thread about things that are common in movies and rare in real life. Please drop the hack about sobriety checkpoints.

OK - Back on topic.

Has anyone crossed a farm field and been chased by a bull? According to a certain type of film about rural life, this would be a common thing. But - I’d expect a bull would look up, and instinct would kick in “Not my species - no competition.” and go back to chewing his cud. Or the farm person would know enough to NOT go into the field on foot.

What about “putting the tenderfoot on a horse nicknamed lightning”?

I had that happen to me. Thirty years ago, I spent a vacation with my then girlfriend at a Tunisian resort which offered horse-riding. My girlfriend was a very skilled and experienced rider, but I had only started it a few months ago and mentioned that I’d prefer a calm horse to the guides. They promptly gave me their most obnoxious mare that was very hard to handle and always on the verge of bolting throughout the whole ride. I averted that, but the ride was very exhausting, physically and mentally. One of the guides we later befriended admitted that they gave me that horse on purpose to test my skills. Obviously, I passed the test, since for later rides they gave me more relaxed horses.

Heck with bulls -

Larson tried to warn us [see innumerable cartoons displaying wanton bovine destruction].
Now, if there’s anything scarier than bears, spiders and snakes, it’s… cows? That’s right. Each year, cows kill about 20 people, typically by kicking or trampling. And about three-quarters of those incidents are reportedly deliberate attacks.
DO NOT GO NEAR BULLS - ESPECIALLY BUFFALO BULLS * Don’t get near an aggressive male. In July and August, bulls are full of testosterone and will charge at just about anything.

I’m doing my bit to eliminate both. While I eat as many steak dinners, hamburgers and meat-lover’s pizzas as I can possibly hold, I also would like to rid the ocean of any critters that want to eat me.

Not by a bull, but by a cow with calf. Didn’t know there were any livestock in the area when I entered the field, she came out from behind a tree and chased me for a bit. Unlike the common depiction she stopped when I was clearly running away (and never got all that close). Probably lucky it was a cow. Bulls will reportedly keep coming after you.

I haven’t but apparently I was lucky. I had run out of gas and was walking to my uncle’s house and took a short cut across a field. My uncle later told me that the meanest bull he had ever seen lived in that pasture. He grew up on a farm and I believed him.

More likely the bull would look up and you’d hear a Mexican trumpet fanfare in the background. :cowboy_hat_face:

I’ve always wished I could have a Hal Roach soundtrack playing in the background that would reflect whatever it is I’m doing at the moment.

Watching Westerns, I’ve always expected one cowboy to turn to his buddy and say “I hear this music every time we ride…”

Sort of. Twenty some years ago a banker/farmer I knew thought he’d make a killing in ostrich. He was showing me around, explaining the business. Instead of walking the long way on a road, he thought we could cut across a field. We’d almost made it when a big bull ostrich came charging out of a barn.

We ran like mad, but the vicious thing knocked me down and trampled me. My friend managed to divert the birds attention while I got up and ran the last few yards, rolling under the chain link fence in the three foot space escape area.

I got some nasty bruises.