What is "Original Sin"?

What is Original Sin? Why do we all have it?

You’re asking why the RCC chose one dogma rather than another. I don’t think there is an answer to that.

I’m no theologian, nor do I take the Garden of Eden story to be literally true. However, I always took the passage to mean that Original Sin is simply any disobedience of God, given that the “sin” in this case is so trivial (a couple of bites out of an apple). In addition, much in the same way as myths explaining seasons and other natural phenomena, it attempts to explain why childbirth is so very painful.

Aren’t there two different questions here? One: how did this story come about? (meaning of “origin”). Kind of a history question. Two, why does it apply to everyone no matter how holy their lives? More of a theology question.

I am not any kind of a theologian, nor a biblical historian, I am out of my depth here. But I could say, the story of why human beings are different than the other animals is a fairly common one in ancient societies. What makes us different, and why and how did it happen? There are a lot of “Fall” similarities in many of these stories.

Why does everyone feel separate from everyone else? Why is the divine so distant from us? Why aren’t we innocent like animals? That’s the reason for the parable.

As for the question of why even saints are included in the curse of original sin, I immediately thought of a story about St.Francis of Assisi, who, whenever people reverenced him as a holy man, was apt to say, you should wait until after I’m dead, as I may yet father children.

The RCC isn’t the only church promoting this concept-this thread isn’t about them exclusively.

Innocent and harmless are two completely different things. One is a state of consciousness, the other is impossible – even plants shade out other plants.

I don’t know that anyone cares how the story came about. The OP is trying to ask, “Given that lots of people say the Fall story is a just-so story to explain Original Sin, where did Original Sin really come from?”

It’s exactly as if I said “Given that Rudyard Kipling’s story of how the elephant got its trunk is a just-so story and not scientific, how did the elephant get its trunk?”

You seem to be trying to hinge everything on the nature of “story” when the OP is trying to get at the nature of “fact” or at least what is presented as fact.

And still you sidestep the actual question that is being asked. Please re-read the OP and try to answer that question without assigning any deeper and/or hidden meanings to it.

The sin is the disobedient consumption of the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil, not a mere Pippin.

I am not trying to sidestep. I apparently am unable to understand the question.

OK, I’ll give it a shot from my limited understanding of theology:

There isn’t one. It’s not a “thing,” it’s a state of being.

And if this fruit existed only in parable, and not in real life, then what real thing is Original Sin based on?

I think I get why I don’t understand your question. But it won’t be at all helpful to discuss it, for anyone. Carry on.

The only people who will be willing to venture an answer with any certainty will be biblical literalists – and IIRC you won’t believe them anyway (nor would I, btw). So I don’t understand the point of the question. It seems to me as if you are asking the delusional for further details of their delusions.

Why can’t they both be parables?

Maybe they are, but what of those religions that put forth that the former is parable but the latter is not? The fox of today is not penalized because a fox in a parable griped about sour grapes, neither do we think better of pigs that sleep on brick instead of straw.

Which ones are that?

The RCC and the Episcopal Church, to start with.

OK, I’ll bite (non-believer here, but nevertheless…).

If a religious person accepts the concept of original sin, but does not accept the events in the Garden of Eden as historical, then Adam and Eve’s sin cannot be the true source. They will therefore attribute it to some innate quality of human nature, most likely a side-effect of free will.

Aha, you say, this makes God the source of original sin, since he designed humans who would inevitably disobey him. True, but the theological counter-argument is that God allows this apparent flaw in his design because it is essential to his higher purpose. Theologians will point to passages like 2 Cor 12:9 ("My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”) to support this interpretation.

ETA: Don’t ask me to defend the concept of Original Sin, much less this interpretation; this is just years of Sunday school the bubbles back up to the surface every now and then.

The RCC doesn’t say that the story of Adam and Eve is a parable. The RCC says that Adam and Eve were real people and the ancestors of all modern humanity.

Humani Generis, which I don’t believe has been superseded, said:

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church (footnotes and paragraph numbers excluded: