In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade
and he carries the reminder of
every glove that laid him down or
cut him till he cried out
in his anger and his shame
I am leaving I am leaving
but the fighter still remains
still remains

A pox on you! I’ve heard that song hundreds of times, and even used to perform it in a group, and I never thought to hear the line that way. Now I’ll never be able to hear it without thinking of a horse! I laughed so hard, I startled somebody in the next room. I love it!

It’s like when I discovered where the edit in “Strawberry Fields Forever” is (the song consists of an edit of two different versions). Once you hear it, you can never not hear it.

Where is it?

Almost exactly 1:00 in, on the word “down”, as in “let me take you…”, it switches from the mellotron and guitar version to the orchestral version.

Thank you!

You’re welcome. Don’t say I didn’t warn you! You’ll hear it every time now.

Oops, I was wrong on that edit, move it three words forward. Sorry, I haven’t listened to it in awhile!

What, like how I can’t hear anything in “Tiny Dancer” but “hold me closer, Tony Danza!” I’ve got a dear friend to thank for that one.

I always took it to mean exactly the opposite - that he was stupid and boneheaded to stick around instead of leaving and finding happiness somewhere else - that sometimes you get so far down one road that you’re too stubborn or too damaged by it to have the sense to do something else.

“Count the headlice on my heinie!”