What is so special about donut shop coffee?

I am seeing it everywhere in the stores-by the pound and by the pod. What makes it from other types? Is it a special blend? Is it made a special way? Or is it that coffee tastes different/better once you’ve gobbled a couple of super-sweet pastries?

It’s the Bud Light of coffees. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

In other words: it’s insipid and bland. I understand some people like their coffee that way.

It’s supposed to taste like Dunkin’ Donuts’ blend.

Three foods I will never understand the cultistic love of:
The pre-Matt and Trey Casa Bonita
Chik-fil-a sandwiches
Dunkin’s donuts and coffee

I’d heard so much about Dunkin Donuts coffee, so I bought a pound once. It was insipid and tasteless. I brewed one pot and tossed the rest.

This is just another example of working class chic like $100 bowling shirts and overalls.

I am so out of touch and it’s not been 10 years since I left the USA.

Dunkin’ Donuts now sells coffee beans in like the foil packets? To me that sounds as silly as them selling flour, sugar, eggs, butter, lemon zest and chocolate and deep-fat fryers for DIY donuts.

Dunno about the overalls, but those $100 bowling shirts better be “Pin Pals” and signed by Matt Groening and John Swartzwelder.

I’d heard about Dunkin’ Donuts coffee for years, so I was excited to see that I was near a DD (I was on a solo train trip through Chicago and was at the Art Institute). Took a sip and said “THIS is what people have been excited about?”

Again, just like the donuts, I’ve been spoiled by local coffee joints and bakeries.

I don’t think DD is ever going to be chic and they seem pretty happy appealing to the mass market.

This SNL skit, lol:

It’s a very basic light roast arabica bean with no overtones of anything (spicy, nutty, chocolate, etc.) Just a slightly sweet “coffee” flavor.
If you’re looking for a base to add your own mix of creamers, flavors, sweeteners to you go with a donut shop blend.

What is so special about donut shop coffee?

The hype.

Coffee is an occasional treat for me. Donut shop coffee appeals to the Goldilocks in me - not too strong, not too weak. Just right. It’s smooth, hot, and satisfying.

Not a coffee drinker myself, but I always thought the magic of “donut shop coffee” wasn’t the flavor, but that it stayed in the pot all day and didn’t turn into sludge.