What is sprituality?

Q:Why has the term ‘spirituality’ become popular?

A: Maybe because it doesn’t “tie you” to a particular idiology OR because the term “religious” has gotten some bad press, as in “The religious right wants prayer in public schools.”

Q: What is the relationship between ‘religion’ and ‘spirituality’?

A: Other than believing in a particular deity, not much. A “religous” person, to me anyway, goes through the motions of going to church on Sundays and such, but outside the church they can be jerks all the same. A “spiritual” person, on the other hand, doesn’t need to show the world what they believe by going to a particular building once a week, but rather they LIVE their beleifs the whole time. Emily Dickenson wrote a great poem called “Some Keep the Sabeth” you should check out.

Q:Has there been a spiritual revolution?

A: Tough on this. I’m guessing people would rather label themselves as spiritual rather than religous nowadays for the aforementioned reasons. On yesterday’s (Oct 5th) edition of “CBS SUnday Morning” the mentioned that X numbers years ago that day, Jim Bakker was convicted of pocketing church money and buy big, swanky cars with it. I clearly remember that and other scandals in the 80s and they were a pretty big deal. So perhaps calling oneself “spiritual” is a way of distancing oneself from the materialism of those at the center of such scandals?

Patty

Idiology? I like that term.
:wink:

I think religion is when you choose to follow one path, according to the words allegedly spoken or written by an ancient person. Myself, I never had much use for religion. I see it as a set of rules to follow.

True spirituality, I think, is when a person finds out for themselves about the intangible stuff - spirits, a soul, an afterlife, maybe a preexistence. When we find our own truths, that’s what I consider spirituality. Religions involve trusting somebody else’s definition of truth, and sometimes they ask us to believe in things that I personally have a hard time swallowing.

There has recently been a craze for the new-agey type beliefs, and to be honest, some of the sources for that information reek of exploitation. But I think the world is starting to open up to the unconventional ideas so popular among new-agey types.

I think we all have to find our own path, and for a lot of us that means following a religion. To each his/her own.