What is the best way to send out a resume? (Paper and Fonts)

Unless that is what was requested, meaning you can follow simple instructions.

How do you mean? A summary at the top?

Something like that. A resume contains lots of information, some relevant and some irrelevant. Even if someone reads it closely, he or she will draw his own opinions about what parts are more important than others. If someone wants the reader to get a certain message, a summary is the way to do it. The cover letter should say this also, but not many cover letters seem to make it through the on-line resume collection process.

It’s kind of like a blurb, but a bit more subtle. Of course it has to be customized to the company the resume is going to.

Yes, most resumes are read in electronic format. That being said, do make a couple in good stock to hand out in person. And if you mail it in, yes, it can’t hurt to not use the cheap paper, but no real value in going for the expensive stuff.

Sure, but I didn’t see where the OP said anything about being instructed to provide a hard copy.

If I’m going to stand out I know it shouldn’t be for something inconsequential like resume paper or my delivery method.

I think the focus of my paper and font considerations should be readability. If they make the resume more readable then they will make me look like a better writer.

So I’m going with really bright white paper and the jury is still out on the best font type. It won’t be fancy though, I know that much.

The job posting says the judge wants it by mail.

Surely you do want a paper version of your resume? Not for the job application, but for the interview? Then you can bring it out and hand it to the interviewer, saying you took the precaution of having a backup (or something similar).

Good point. I always took one with to an interview, and offered it to the interviewer at the start of the interview. Often they took it, because all they had seen before was an emailed version of it. (In one case, not even that – only a summary of what some HR person had decided were the ‘important’ points.)

So here is where the nice paper & attractive fonts might make a difference – when you give it directly to the hiring manager.

But remember – you got as far as being interviewed by him because of the content of your resume. Concentrate your effort there.

Also, you can customize your resume for the job opening.

Don’t change the basic identification & job history part, but if you have a section of “Professional Experience” where you highlight some successful projects you have worked on, you can make sure to include ones similar to this job opening.

For example, in the computer field, if this opening is a payroll/personnel one, move a payroll/HR project you worked on to the top of that list. Or if it’s a Finance/Accounting job, list a similar project you have worked on first on the list.

Can you explain this a little more [see underlined]? How does paper make you look like a better writer? Would your words not do that?

Unless you mean presentation: that the presentation may make you look like a better writer…even then we get back to the actual words you use.

As someone who has had to review/interview tons of folks…

Fancy envelopes often get chewed up / damaged / misrouted / delayed by the company mail rooms and mail sorters. Use the generic Office Depot business envelope.

The first impression that crosses all of our (the interviewers) minds when opening up a papyrus-gold-leaf-script-font-graphic-layout-texture-weave is “Oh god, not another one…” We eventually read it, but first impressions are very negative.

My favorite was one on pink paper, with “doilied” lace edges on the parchment, and scented with rose perfume. This was for a computer help desk position :slight_smile: (no, they weren’t hired).

I would go with something called pale nimbus with raised lettering and a watermark.

A very well written resume might be more difficult to read because of the paper or unclear font. That might create the impression that the person is a bad writer if reader isn’t paying close attention to what is causing the difficulties.

Actually, that might have been a nice change of pace for a help desk. I am assuming they didn’t get an interview either?

One of my friends did get an interview because she put “readin’, writin’ and recyclin’” under her Interests and our boss just had to meet her. She showed up in a dress and Timberlands and still got the job.

Well, I’ve always worked in law firms. Our business does lean a bit towards the stodgy, old-fashioned side, and I don’t think a resume sent on businesslike, quality paper stock would hurt anyone. Lawyers have literary tendencies, and good writing on good paper will still catch their eye, IMO. Just don’t get too fancy, as everyone says. If you go the paper route:

Nice white or possibly cream paper of somewhat better quality, not cheapie bargain-basement photocopy paper. Still, don’t use the heavy rag bond.

Plain, legible businesslike font, like Times New Roman.

Try not to go over two pages.

But, as everyone says upthread, content is 95% of the game.

The U.S. Federal Government works the same exact way. No reason at all to bother with anything fancy. In fact, there are usually specific templates/specific ways you have to structure your resume (RESUMIX is common) that preclude you from doing anything fancy at all.

The big key with Uncle Sam is to focus on what you write, and use lots of keywords likely to ping the search computers. Those keywords are nearly always the same words used in the job description, including and especially in the qualifications desired/required sections.

Do people even snail mail resumes and cover letters anymore? Who do you even mail them to?

Paper? A paper resume?

Last actual physical paper resume I sent was…mmm, circa 1998 I think. Last FAXed resume, also.

I just assumed everyone emailed them as file attachments nowadays.

The law is a stodgy old profession. At least half of federal judges seeking post-grad clerks, if not more, do not choose to use the online system so helpfully provided for them. Why? Who knows? They like their bits of paper I guess. In the legal profession, which Lakai aspires to enter, paper resumes are the rule and not the exception.

This is true. Lawyers are often complete retards when it comes to anything having to do with technology. I often wonder how they wrote papers in law school.

Well the judge I’m sending out a resume to probably did it by hand. Since he went to law school in the 60’s writing it on a computer would have been difficult.

Otherwise, your larger point stands. Most of my law professors can’t use technology. It’s very weird, but this will change soon once the youngsters take over.