What's your preferred font for resumes?

I’m applying for a position where the information is sent either as a Word or pdf attachment, so I’m not restricted to certain fonts to use in a cut-and-paste format. I think I used Georgia or Verdana the last time. What do you use?

Bank Gothic for headings and Palatino Linotype for text. If you’re sending it around as a Word doc though, don’t expect it to look the same on the computer of the person who opens it as it does on yours, since they probably won’t have the same fonts installed. Word formats are not meant to be published documents, they are for editing. PDF is the published document standard.

Comic Sans!
:: d & r ::

The last resume I laid out, I liked the font pair of Caslon with Franklin Gothic. I used Caslon for body text, and Franklin Gothic for headings. Univers also works well as the sans serif for this pair, as does Gill Sans, but I’m all burnt out on Gill Sans.

Word (at least up through version 2007) includes an option to embed fonts with the Word document when it is saved. This is meant to solve the problem of sending someone a file which includes fonts they might not have.

How well it accomplishes this I leave as an exercise for the reader.

Ideally, you’d send a PDF, but if for some reason you cannot or should not (for example, they request a Word document), then for the above reason, I’d suggest sticking with a generic, everybody’s-got-it, Word font. I use Arial myself, though Times New Roman would also be suitable.

Remember also that unless you’re applying for a job as a designer, layout editor, or similar; the contents of your resume will be more important than how it looks. That is not to say that you can afford to be sloppy and inconsistent in your design–you can’t–but a simple, consistent, and clear design will always get your message across. Nobody wants to wade through a resume using multiple fonts in multiple sizes with bold and italic seemingly used indiscriminately–and so, they don’t, and it’s on to the next applicant.

I generally recommend one font in one size; but if you must, use more than two fonts in no more than two sizes (say, one for headings, one for text). Additionally, use bold and italic carefully. And always, be consistent in your design.

I like Adobe Garamond. Classy.

I used to like Garamond, but I prefer Calibri these days. Both for things like resumes, and for my uni assignments. I find it very easy to read.

Just took a peek…

I used Adobe Caslon Pro for the body text and Helvetica (never Arial) for headings.

I’m very glad word has moved away from Times New Roman for its default font. I always hated Times.