What is the difference between a DVD-R and a DVD+R?

I’ve done a search, but so far only came up with:

Which, well, isn’t really helping me out at all.

The reason I am asking is that I am thinking of getting a DVD burner, and I am getting the impression that a burner that handles -R is “better” than just “+R”.

Is it? Why? Whats the difference?

It’s a format war, like VHS and Beta back in the old days, but much more confusing because the discs, players, and recorders look almost identical. :slight_smile:

There are two main camps of disc makers. One uses the dash (-) in their names, the other uses the plus (+). There are record-once (R) and erasible (RW) disc versions in both camps, so you end up with four differnt disc types: DVD-R, DVD+R (both record-once), and DVD-RW, DVD+RW (both erasible).

(There is also a fifth type of disc, DVD-RAM, but it is rarer.)

I recommend getting a recorder that handles discs from both camps. Such are well below CAD 300 in Toronto.

But if you’re looking at compatibility with the installed base of older players only, DVD-R has the edge: more older players will play DVD-R than any of the other formats.

It’s also a good idea to check the specs on any DVD players and drives you already own, to see what they can already play.