What is the difference between Native Americans and First Nation Peoples?

I’m reading an article about a middle school in Alaska that held a Moose hunt. An activity almost all of the kids participated in. Not sure what the proper formatting is here on the new Boards, but this is from a New York Times article today. ( To avoid getting slammed for copyright infringement, I only quote the relevant passage here )

" While most people may not think of moose as food, for many Alaskans and Canadians, it has been a crucial nutrition source “because of all the richness that it has,” he said. Moose are an important traditional food for many Alaska Native, Native American and First Nations people. "

Please explain the difference to me. I get that you can be an Alaska Native and be 100% Nigerian by blood and history. Duh.

But what’s the difference between Native Americans living in Alaska and First Nation People?

PLEASE let us keep this thread civil. Thanks ! :slight_smile:

First Nation people live in Canada. Just different terminology, but the US infrastructure for Native Americans is somewhat different than for First Nation people in Canada.

Native Americans are from the lower 48. First Nations are the descendants of indigenous Canadian peoples.

A google:

In summary, Native American is the most common and neutral term in the US, while First Nations is the preferred term in Canada, although both exclude the Inuit. Indian is acceptable in the US, but should be avoided in Canada. Aboriginal is the only common umbrella term encompassing First Nations, Inuit and Métis in Canada, but it is not used in US English.

That’s kind of what I thought as well, but it’s a blog so take it with a grain of salt.

Ancestry.com has me listed as 25% Indigenous Peoples since my grandfather was of a native tribe in Mexico.