What is the first sentence from the book you are currently reading?

Thanks!

“Everyone has predictions about her future when a baby girl is born, and my parents were no different.”

Poster Child: A Memoir, by Emily Rapp

“I haven’t really told you much about the other doctors in Northmont (Dr. Sam Hawthorne said as he took down the wine bottle and poured the traditional small libation for himself and his visitor), because when I arrived in 1922 I was the only one in town.”

Challenge the Impossible: The Final Problems of Dr. Sam Hawthorne, by Edward D. Hoch.

“The world of fiction writers is a collection of opposites: factions at odds in their beliefs, values, purpose, and way of writing.”

The Emotional Craft of Fiction, Donald Maass

Let’s see… (I’m sitting at the kitchen counter reading it as we speak, trying for some escapism to a more optimistic era)

Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen #66, cover date January, 1963.

Author and artist:
Generic silver-age “Supes team”
(probably Leo Dorfman and Kurt Schaffenberger)

Thanks!

No problem… made me feel all literate, like I was reading a real book!

“People can’t jump very high.”

How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems, by Randall Munroe

“A strikingly handsome young man in his late twenties swung his big frame down from the stagecoach platform to the wooden sidewalk before Albany’s famed Delevan House.”

Millard Fillmore: Biography of a President, by Robert J. Rayback

“‘Daddy, I’m tired,’ the little girl in the red pants and the green blouse said fretfully. ‘Can’t we stop?’”

Firestarter by Stephen King

“When I was seven, I found a door.”

The Ten Thousand Days of January, by Alix E. Harrow

“The man in the house was going to kill himself.”

Hostage, by Robert Crais

“His name was Dave Farkus, and he’d recently taken up fly-fishing as a way to meet girls. So far, it hadn’t worked out very well.”

Force of Nature, by C.J. Box. Joe Pickett series #12.

“It was a hot late-summer morning, a month into my first year as a Duke medical student.”

Black Man in a White Coat: A Doctor’s Reflections on Race and Medicine, by Damon Tweedy, M.D.